Chapter 8 - Charlotte

Chapter Eight

Charlotte

By the end of the week I still couldn't get that kiss out of my head. I tried to emerge myself into books, homework, and studying, but no matter how much I tried to distract myself I would still lay in bed for hours thinking about him. Even when I was in class, I would find my thoughts drifting toward Christian and his strong arms wrapped around my waist pulling me tightly against his body.

I spent the week avoiding him entirely, and although I succeeded with this, Karla seemed to be suffering the consequences. I had barely spoken to her all week aside from a couple sentences exchanged during lunchtime, and this is how I found myself on the wrong end of a bad tongue-lashing in the middle of Westside Foods.

"-and you can't try and pretend like you aren't avoiding me, Charlie, because I saw the shadow of your big frizzy hair peeking out of your bedroom window last night!"

"I was listening to music – I didn't hear you knock."

"And what about my ten thousand text messages I've sent you all week! I mean, it's one thing if your busy with school work, I know how important getting a scholarship is to you, but you won't even let me drive you to school! Seriously, Charlie, why are you so pissed at me? Is it because of that stuff with those college boys? Because I was just playing around." Karla placed her hands on my shopping cart so I couldn't try to avoid this conversation – she knew how much I hated confrontations.

I looked down the aisle and sighed. The one thing the sucks about living in a small town like Bridgewalk is that it's easy for people to find you. We only have one good grocery store in town, and Karla knew I went shopping every Friday after school.

"No, Kare – it's not that," I said.

"Then what is it, Charlotte? I have been having a really crappy week, and having my bestie avoid me like I'm a plague is really getting frustrating."

"Look, I have a lot of frozen groceries, so I should just get going."

She folded her arms and that Steele stubbornness glinted in her eyes. "The hell you are going anywhere. You aren't avoiding this conversation. Seriously, Char, what's your deal?"

I turned to face her, but I still couldn't bring myself to tell her what happened. What would I say? Well, I made out with your brother in the library and now I am terrified to be near him because I don't trust myself. She would probably kill me, or she would kill Christian – actually, she would probably kill both of us. He was her slutty, older brother, and I was her nerdy, virgin friend. She would kill me for my stupidity, and then kill him for his douche-baggery.

"Honestly, it's not you. It's just been a busy week, I swear." Well, if I wasn't going to tell her what happened then the least I could do was stop avoiding her. Maybe I could still hang out with Karla and evade Christian at the same time.

Karla titled her head and asked, "Is it your parents again?"

I shrugged and said, "Well, nothing is different there, if that's what you're asking, but you know I'm used to it." I started to push my shopping cart toward the checkout counter and Karla walked with me. "But hey, how about to make up for lost time, I will be yours all weekend – well, after I drop off these groceries first."

"Anything I want to do?"

"Sure, whatever you want," I said, but when I looked up at Karla I instantly regretted it. She had a wicked smile etched across her face and her eyes gleamed with mischief. "Dear, god. What have I gotten myself into?"