54

Later that evening, Soana enjoyed a platter of rice with the group when she noticed Aang distancing himself. She sighed, grabbing her platter and standing to go to the airbender to keep him company.

"Hey," She spoke softly and took a seat next to him.

"Hey." He frowned.

Soana saw the emotion he held and felt sympathetic.
"I know how you feel, Aang. I really do."

He raised at brow.
"Were you forced to kill a person?"

"Well, no," She shook her head. "I'm just saying I understand you. You don't want to kill the Fire Lord, but the people you love and care for want you to. I know you have to do what's best for the world, and I'll admit, it does suck with the pressure and all."

Aang sighed.
"I'm not a murderer. I was always told by the monks that all life was sacred, even of the smallest spider fly."

Soana nodded.
"And I agree with you."

"I just don't want to kill the Fire Lord." He mumbled.

"When I was about your age, I was a master healer. I was the first of my class to master the subbending of water, except for the other which was bloodbending."

Aang looked at Soana in fear.
"I've had an encounter with a bloodbender. She could only do it during a full moon."

Soana huffed a breath.
"I was made to learn by my healing teacher who could bloodbend without the help of a full moon. It was dangerous, but by the age of fifteen, I had mastered it. I only used bloodbending at most twice when it was for defense, but I've only done it once out of spite. The first time was when my old boyfriend got into a fight with a seal lion.

The second time I bloodbended was when I made enemies with a girl who I went to healing classes with. She wanted to steal my boyfriend at the time, so I got revenge. The most I can say is, I've had a dark past with bloodbending, and I've hated doing it ever since. The third time was on the assassin Zuko had sent. I tried to bloodbend him to save Katara, but I ended up getting caught in his sights."

Aang gave Soana a lighthearted smile for mentioning the fact that she saved Katara.

The princess sighed.
"Look, what I'm trying to say is even though you don't like to kill living things, sometimes they do some good if you would just do it."

"Yeah, but hating to bloodbend and hating to murder is two completely different things, Soana. My problem is I'm taking someone's life permanently, and I'm to blame for it."

She sighed.
"I'm sorry. I'm just trying to help you, Aang."

"No one can help me." He bowed his head.

Soana didn't speak anymore. Instead, she placed a hand on Aang's shoulder and pushed herself from the step she sat on then walked back to the group with her rice platter.

"I have a surprise for everyone!" Katara said, excited, with a long scroll in her hands.

"I knew it! You did have a secret thing with Haru!" Toph smiles.

The waterbender frowned.
"Uh, no. I was looking for cooking pots in the attic when I found this." She unrolled the scroll to reveal a portrait of a Fire Nation baby, smiling adorably.