𝖎.𝖝𝖎𝖝 𝖗𝖊𝖑𝖎𝖛𝖊 𝖎𝖙

THE NEXT FEW DISTRICTS WERE A BLUR; Haven read the empty words Pandora fed her, and gave condolences to the families that in no way made up for their losses

Haven stood on the stage in District 8, the cards shaking as her hand trembled, and she mustered all of her will not to break down on the spot. She didn't just feel sorrow, but also utterly crippling guilt as she stared out at the single family standing on the platform across from her. Not only had they lost two of their children to the Games, but one of them was at the hands of the Victor.

"Good afternoon citizens of District 8. I'm Haven Cleary, Victor of the 67th Annual Hunger Games." The blonde spoke into the microphone, her voice shaky.

Haven paused before returning to the cards. "The tributes of this District were brave and noble warriors, and their sacrifice will not be forgotten. I would like to offer my condolences to the family of the fallen tributes-"

"You're not sorry bitch!" Her words were cut off by a yell from the crowd. Within seconds, the audience erupted into chaos once again, screaming profanities and hateful remarks at the girl.

"Murderer!"

"You should be dead!"

"Fuck you, you're the reason they died!"

Peacekeepers stormed through the crowd, and Haven felt a pair of arms pulling her back into the building. The insults stung, but what hurt her most was the look of sheer pain that she saw in the family's eyes right before the doors shut behind her.

Haven felt so incredibly numb that she couldn't even cry, she just stood there motionless. The crowd could still be heard outside, their screams piercing through the walls of the building. Collin slung his arm around her shoulders, guiding her to walk with him. "I'm sorry. Don't listen to them, they're just angry and you're the easiest person for them to take it out on. Let's go princess."

The train backed out of the station as soon as they boarded, the textile factories and smog of 8 rapidly disappearing. Haven left the rest of the group without saying anything, retreating to her room.

She crawled into the bed, staring blankly at the wall in front of her. Her mind was spinning, the spiteful comments tormenting her. The brave face she had put up on the stage came crumbling down once she was alone, the words sinking in.

Tears streamed down the Cleary girl's face as the insults replayed in her mind, and she couldn't shake the image of how broken the family looked. The guilt crippled her beyond belief, and the blonde didn't even realize that she was screaming until the door flung open, Finnick standing in the frame.

"Haven! Are you okay?" He said, his voice piqued with worry. The blonde shook her head, wiping the tears from her cheeks.

Finnick walked over and sat next to her, wrapping one arm around her, grasping her hands with his free one.