Chapter 63

Miranda's POV

I ran after Legolas knowing that Kili and the others would be safe with Tauriel. I looked up and saw Tauriel looking out the window. I smile up at her and pulled out my bow, putting an arrow to the string, I pulled it back hitting an orc before running off.

Legolas was killing all of the orcs in front of him, leaving a collection of dead bodies in his wake. I was taking care of the stragglers. We had caught the attention of Bolg, nasty beast. His head was small with a mouth that jutted out and small eyes, one a milky white color the other a sickly yellow. There were pieces of metal jutting out of his pale body like protruding bone and he was much taller than the other orcs.

I had just shot at an orc, the arrow landed between its eyes before it keeled over dead. I tried to fire arrows at the orcs departing but a few escaped, when I returned to Legolas, he was slammed against a wooden post. I reached into my belt and threw a knife at Bolg's head. It missed hitting a different wooden post behind him with a dull thunk.

Even though my shot missed, I succeeded in gaining his attention. Bolg went to kick Legolas again, flashing me a twisted grin, but Legolas caught his foot and threw him across the planked walkway into the wall of a house. Legolas picked him up again and started smashing Bolg's head into the post he had been against just a moment ago.

Legolas threw him, Bolg stumbled, then turned around holding Legolas against his chest and began squeezing. I pulled out an arrow and as I drew back the string, Legolas smashed his head into Bolg's and Bolg lost his grip on the elf. Punches were thrown but I couldn't get a clear shot, so I aimed at the smaller orcs.

I saw Bolg throw Legolas at the other orcs and begin to walk away. I was about to shoot at him, when I saw that Legolas was in a bind, so I aimed my arrow at the head of the orc holding him and it entered his skull and came out the other side.

Legolas killed the other one and then leaned against a post, breathing hard. He brought his hand to his face and looked at the blood on his hand as if he couldn't believe he was bleeding before turned to me, "Miranda. Come."

I followed him after the retreating Bolg.

As we were tracking him on Legolas's horse, I heard something in my head, "You will all burn!" I held my head in pain as I leaned against Legolas's chest.

Legolas looked at me with worry. "Miranda? Did you get hit?" He asked, gently moving my hand and checking me for injuries.

"I have to go back," I said wearily.

"Why?" He asked.

"Smaug. He is going to come down the mountain!" I exclaimed.

"How do you know this?" He questioned, stopping his horse.

"I can hear it." I said and dismounted. "Go!" With that, we separated, heading in opposite directions.