Nine

"I think I'm in love." I sighed as I sunk into the couch. Sparks rose from the fire place putting me at ease. It added onto the comfortable space the cabin already had. Andrew flopped down on the other side of the couch beside me, kicking one of his legs onto the coffee table.

"Feels good, doesn't it?" He smirked.

"Ugh, it does. I could spend all night here!" I slouched down further.

"I mean, sure. There's enough space and it's not being occupied right now." He shrugged.

"Wait, are you serious?" I shot up, studying him. "You're just fucking with me, aren't you?"

There was a ghost of a smile on his face as he threw his hands up in surrender. "Hey, you suggested it. Not me." He laughed. I rolled my eyes and chucked the nearest pillow at him. 

"Oh no, you're just as abusive as Skylar," he feigned.

I laughed and shook my head. "You haven't seen anything yet."

"How did you and Skylar meet anyways? You two are an interesting pair."

"Oh God, don't get me started on that one. We didn't go to the same school, but we entered the same summer program in eighth grade. It was the kind of program parents threw their kids into if they worked late or just wanted to keep their kids out of the house for another few hours.

"Skylar got into an argument—that almost turned into a fist fight—with some girl. I somehow got caught up in the mess by an accident on my way to the bathroom. The girl thought Skylar and I were friends, and that I was trying to defend her, when really, I just wanted to get inside the bathroom. Skylar's mouth was out of control when she was younger.

"I kid you not. She legit said these words to her, for a girl who doesn't suck dick, you sure open your mouth a lot. We all ended up getting in trouble and sent home by the counselors. And we weren't allowed back in the program. Our parents were furious when they had to come pick us up. But we've been friends ever since." 

By the end of my story, Andrew was hunched over in laughter. He was laughing so hard, he started coughing. "Oh, my fucking God," he coughed out. "Are you serious!?"

"Yup," I said.

"Wow. That girl is something else. I knew she was crazy, but damn. She's bold, huh?"

"That's Skylar for you." I laughed with him. 

We both continued to drown the room in laughter until the living room grew quiet again. Andrew's gaze met mine, a small smile finding its way onto his lips.

"You know, I had a lot of fun with you today. You're really cool to hang out with," he said.

That cracked a smile out of me. Damnit, I was doing a terrible job at keeping my distance. "I had fun with you too, Andrew. Your company is refreshing. And you're pretty cute." I hadn't realized he had gotten closer until I finished my sentence.

"Oh? Am I?" He grinned.

"Just a little," I teased.

He chuckled and shook his head. "Can we do this again some time? I'd really like to hang out with you again." His lone dimple popped out through his cheeky smile. This wasn't a date, the voice in the back of my head screamed.

"Maybe." I shrugged.

"That's okay. I'll let you think about it." He laughed under his breath.

Somehow, that was all it took to close the space between us. I couldn't help it. And I wasn't sure who initiated it first—him or myself. All I knew was, the kiss was happening.