Chapter 9

After Vyriana had dropped that bomb, they spoke for a bit longer in order to keep a casual conversation between mother and daughter. They didn't speak about anything particular, but everyday things in order to help the queen's memories. Hyejin asked her how she knew about her amnesia, to which Vyriana answered that it was Alfrek who had exposed this to her when he met her on his way back.

The more they spoke, the more that Vyriana became more at ease with the queen. There was still an air of unfamiliarity, but at least they didn't seem like two strangers next to each other. In fact, they went from strangers to acquaintances, if not semi-friends?

Throughout the entirety of it, Hyejin couldn't help but ponder about the man Emperor Mesrah. When Vyriana had mentioned the name, it had finally rung a bell in her mind. The emperor, mentioned briefly in a page or two, was solely existing in order to prevent the kingdoms from attacking each other. The imperial family was never actually brought in the novel nor ever mentioned that they had ties with the princess like what she had witnessed earlier.

"Vyriana, how long have you known the emperor?" And how long has the man with the highest authority in the continent easily allowed you to refer to him as an uncle?

"Ever... since I was born?" It was a question that had taken her aback as the princess had never thought about it. Her uncle had naturally existed without reason. She never thought about how such a man had ended up as her uncle.

That means that the queen knew him closely?

The situation was a bit tricky.

Hyejin couldn't make too many assumptions as nothing was documented for her to read. The fact that the queen even knew the emperor in such an intimate manner, for him to adopt the role of an uncle for her daughter, it meant that she really was more than what was written about her—meaning almost nothing. Queen Asielle had many different aspects and many things shrouding her; the more Hyejin uncovered, the more she was forced to dig deeper.

A shuffle could be heard in the background. Hyejin turned around swiftly and saw a ball of white fluff speeding in their direction. Before she could open her mouth or move, it had already stationed itself on her lap.

Now wait a minute!

"What is...?" The little fluff ball was nuzzling at her hand, wanting to be petted.

The little princess giggled. "I guess you forgot about Blanche." The little ball of fluff looked up at hearing its name and two small ears perked in excitement.

"Is this a bunny?" It certainly didn't look like a bunny. The ears were like a bear's, albeit a bit more pointed. However, all the other characteristics belonged to a bunny, including the pink button nose that twitched every so often.

"In a sense?" Vyriana nudged the bunny who sprouted little white wings on its back. "It's a magical one."

Holy shit!?

"Is there a lot of this thing? Like can I go outside and see these fluff balls flying everywhere?" It would be like seeing cotton ball rain.

Vyriana chuckled at her mother's words and shook her head. "No. Magical pets are very rare and expensive. We've had Blanche since she was a kit. She's always stayed in the garden."

Before Hyejin could respond, the ringing of a bell rang loudly across the garden and they were interrupted. She looked at the direction of the noise in confusion until the princess explained what was happening. "I believe someone needs one of us. Most likely you, mother."

"How will we get there in time! It took me forever to walk here and I was even guided by the bugs—ahem, faeries!" Vyriana was shocked that the elusive faeries even bothered to speak with her mother, but as much as she wanted to question her mother about the encounter, the bells were now ringing with more urgency.