Chapter 1

Kneel Before The King

Chapter 1

Under the starlit sky

.•*•.

After a day's ride we stop to rest for the night. My maid, Delilah has made us a fire to sit by. The darkness came rather quick as the hours passed and while the two of us sat by the fire the guards are around and making sure nothing happens nor anyone attacks. Eating a stew that she made by the warm fire, I look up at the stars with wonder in my eyes and smile to myself. "Do you think the King will like me?" I ask her but don't look from the stare lit sky.

They are so beautiful that it's almost as if they are magical and perhaps they are, that I do not know of yet the world hides so many secrets. "Of course, Your Highness, why ever would he not?" She asks me and I lightly chuckle. "My whole life I have prepared to wed a King yet now that it is here I find myself unsure and I do not know if this is what I want" I speak, my voice almost breaking but I manage to hold it until I've finished speaking and then I let out a breath.

The tears are pricking my eyes when I don't want them and I do not allow them to fall down my face. I cannot break. I must do this for my kingdom and my parents. It is what is expected for me and I must live up to that. "Don't speak to this to anyone" I tell her when she doesn't say anything, probably doesn't know how to tell a Princess that this will be all right when I know it won't. "I swear I will never speak a word of our conversation" She tells me and I nod.

In silence I eat my food and then I walk to the carriage and go inside it. The cold bites me yet I gather a blanket and wrap it around myself as I sit there. My eyes travel back to the stars in the sky as I wonder if the King will want a Queen like me. Yet I must know that this is not about wanting nor liking as this is about my country and my kingdom and I will do whatever it takes to help it and even if I have to marry a King that does not want me.

Now that I'm alone I allow the tears to softly and silently fall down my face as I think of my kingdom and how much at this moment it suffers and how much I wish I could do more to help and to bring back the kingdom to where it was. Moments pass before I feel myself slowly begin to close my eyes, despite the cold that I feel like wants to swallow me whole yet I do not allow it. With my eyes closed the moonlight shines on me brining forth a smile on my face despite the tears.

Taking a couple of deep breaths to calm myself down before anyone hears or sees me break down like this. Even when my heart has been broken and nearly torn apart I must keep my head high and show that nothing and no one can stand in my way to save my kingdom and my people. I would lay down my life for them and even then I would fight despite myself being with the Gods above. The carriage door opens and Delilah goes into the carriage. "You are cold, Your Highness? Shall I fetch another blanket?" She asks me.

Shaking my head I give her a weak smile. "It is all right, but please, sit with me" I tell her and she nods and respectfully bows down her head as she sits down where she had been sitting before in the carriage. "The night is so beautiful" I say more to myself but she looks at me when I said that. "Yes, indeed it holds beauty, Your Highness, compared to your beauty it does not shine bright" She tells me and I smile to her. "You are too kind" I speak to her with a soft smile on my face.

"I only speak the truth, Your Highness" She tells me with a bright smile but I can see the exhaustion in her eyes and I smile to her once again. "We shall rest now. Tomorrow will be a long and difficult day. We must be prepared for it" I tell her and she nods her head. She wraps herself in a blanket and leans against the carriage. I stand up and walk out of the carriage as that is not the place I shall be sleeping. A tent by the guards and Delilah has been put up and I walk inside.

There stands a small bed made out of only blankets and with a couple of pillows. I walk over there and lie down yet feel the need to look at the sky yet I don't do that. Tomorrow we will arrive to his kingdom and it would be the first time I'd see him and it would be difficult and I do not know if my heart is ready nor do I know if I will be ready for this yet I know this is my duty. He is to be my husband and I his wife and I must do what is necessary to save my kingdom.

Closing my eyes and allowing myself to run deep into sleep and pray for the dreams to find me in order for me to sleep better and wish that the night will be warm and comfortable to sleep in. Just as I was about to drift off into the darkness and allow it to take me to the dreams I begin to hear noises and sounds on the outside of the tent. With fear deep in my bones I stand up and walk over to the opening of the tent and once I see what is outside I let out a blood curling scream.