Chapter 42

Elizabeth's P.O.V.

Saturday. First thing I thought as I woke up. My first day as a barista.

I forgot to ask what to wear.

A bit worried, I decided to just wear plain jeans and a maroon V-neck T.

I hurried down the stairs, afraid that I might run late.

I met face to face with Chloe who was about to head out too.

"Hey." I greeted, having difficulty keeping my eyes off of her.

She was wearing a black skirt, a white T-shirt tucked in. Her legs were covered with black thigh high socks while wearing black and white checkered sneakers for her feet.

I almost forgot about a black choker that surrounded her neck.

I chuckled at her cuteness.

Yes. She's cute.

"What are you smiling at?" She narrowed her eyes at me.

My eyebrows furrowed at her tone, "what's wrong?" I asked, oblivious.

"I hugged you yesterday right?" I reminded her, "in front of Kristy?"

"You left me with them yesterday!" She glared at me, I saw her parents sneakily observe us from the kitchen.

"You hugged me to make her feel intimidated!" She scoffed, "What did she even do to you? She was just trying to help."

I was confused. This wasn't like her.

I gulped, thinking of the right words to say especially when her parents just a room away from us.

"I didn't want to make her feel intimidated, Chloe" I explained, "and...and I felt like you wanted to talk to them and I didn't want to ruin the mood..."       

"Then why did you hug me like that?" She asked, annoyance laced in her voice. She crossed her arms and leaned on one foot.

Because I don't want her to be too comfortable with you.

She looked at her phone, "I'm getting late." She pinched the bridge of her nose.

"What part of 'I wanna go with you' sounds like I'm having fun with them and not getting overwhelmed?"

I just gave her an apologetic look.

"Great, I'm late at the date." She opened the door.

"Date? Like group date?" I asked, hoping that she would say yes.

"No." She said sternly, "I have a date. Alone. With Kristy." She looked at me in the eye, "Where we watch at the cinema, hold hands, eat together, and make out. You hate that right?"

"No..." I muttered through gritted teeth, the feeling of anger circulating in my body but I tried pushing it away.

"Right??" She pressed, obviously purposefully hitting a nerve.

"FINE!" I yelled back, "I fucking hate it, Chloe" I glared.

I hate how she'll be able to hold you hand without doubt. How she can kiss your lips and you'll kiss her back. I hate how you like her. I yelled inside my head.

Her face softened and for a second, I saw an emotion I couldn't put a finger on.

She looked at me again with hatred, "Kristy was right."

My heart dropped to my stomach.

"A-about what" I managed to ask.

"there's nothing I can do, Elizabeth." She shook her head.