CHAPTER 18.4

"The moon was full that night

"The moon was full that night."

Dai summoned his blade. The fire had gone out as the god had drifted to sleep. He had thought Dai was asleep too, dozing on his shoulder. It was relatively easy to slow his breathing to a point it would even fool a god. Then it was only a matter of laying Lukas onto the ground without waking him or Honey.

The wind picked up. The scent of ash nipped at Dai's nose. The frozen blade in his hand was angled at the god's throat. He would cleave the head. He would cleave Lukas's head. Did he have the strength to do it in one blow? If Lukas woke, it would be all over for Dai and it wasn't like Dai knew if he would be able to come back after a thousand years. His hands were trembling. One blow, that was all he needed.

One blow to rectify all the people that Lukas had killed. Not only in this village but all the others. One blow to save the Wild Woods from an untold amount of suffering. The wind howled against Dai's back. It sounded like the dead were egging him on, begging, pleading for him to bring justice to them.

But... he couldn't. The blade slipped from his fingers and dissolved into the earth. Dai couldn't do it. He just... he just didn't have that kind of anger in him anymore. He just... he didn't have the stomach for vengeance. He closed his eyes and pleaded to his mother for forgiveness and then turned his head upwards, into the night sky. His entire body was bathed in the ethereal light of the moon.

"Please," he whispered. "Please father... stop him. Stop my brother."

Because Dai wanted to live. And he wanted Lukas to live. And he wanted Honey to live. He wanted them all to live long and happy lives! But the fact still remained: in the end, Dai's brother always won. 

Dai had chosen the losing side.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Dear god, I'm a college student now

Thanks for being literary simps.