CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

Was this it? The big decision I had to make? I had to choose between the Avatar or my actual family?! I felt sick to my stomach, not only because he was a friend but because of what he did.

   "I'm with you, Sokka." Katara said and walked to Sokka. "Come on, Kaida."

   I looked at Aang, he looked sad and guilty. I sighed. "I'm going to help Aang, get to the North Pole." I looked back at them and they both looked at me but walked away.

   "Kaida?" Aang looked at me.

   "We told you we would take you to the North Pole, you learn waterbending and then you can go learn to master the other elements and win the war." I said feeling a hint of sadness. "Come on, we should go. The sooner we leave the quicker we'll get there."

   "Okay." He replied and we headed to the abbey.

   Bato handed me a pack and I took it, I hugged him and he hugged me back. "Thank you for everything, Bato. Please tell my dad I really did want to see him but I made another promise."

   "You're family Kaida, no need for that." He answered and I went back to Appa. Katara walked over and I gave her back the necklace. "It's yours you should take it with you."

   "Thanks." She hugged me and I hugged her back. "Good luck."

   "Okay.." Aang answered. "You too."
I climbed onto Appa and watched as they left. "Guess we should be moving on." Aang said.

   "That would be best." The sister replied and we walkled out heading in the opposite direction.

   Sokka looked back and I gave a small wave but he looked away so I stopped and hugged my knees.
We landed on the beach next to Bato's boat neither of us saying anything, we were thinking about where we need to head next, but then Aang spoke up.

   "I'm really sorry, Kaida." He said and stared up at the sky. "I know how scared you are of trusting people."

   I sat up and looked over at him. "H-How do you know that?" I asked cofused.

   "Katara and Sokka, mentioned it when we first met and you were with, Zuko." He replied and glanced back. "They said they were surprised that you stayed back so I could be safe."

   "That's not it. You're the Avatar, anyone would have done it." I lied but it wasn't noticeable. I laid on my back once again.

   "You do care about other people." He said. "That's why you decided to come with me instead of with your real family. Even after what I did.
That's why you felt so strongly when Jet hurt the old Fire Nation guy. You don't care who they are... You helped Haru free his dad and the rest of their people."

   "Aang," I looked at him. "You're right, I am scared of trusting people. People started calling me Ice Queen because I never talked to them and rarely smiled in front of strangers.
But the thing is, I trusted you before we started travelling. I was confused why and I still am." I sighed. "But since then my trust for you only grew and honestly you're like a brother to me."

   "I am?" He asked looking back at me.

   "Yeah." I rolled my eyes. "So, now it's kinda hard to stop trusting you."