Ch. 36

Longer chapter this time, as a thank you to my readers for being patient!

"Time to go."

The two looked up at Happy's words, and Tony gave Peter a soft smile. "You can do this, kiddo."

The teen grinned nervously. "Restrain Captain America, no problem. None."

"I'm detecting nervousness in that tone of voice, so don't try to pass it off. You'll do fine."

"Right. No pressure though."

"None at all."

"Hey," Tony caught his shoulder, giving him a soft smile. "We good?"

Peter gave a tiny nod. "Yeah. Does this mean I can come home afterwards?"

His dad smiled lightly. "If all goes well, yeah."

"And if it doesn't?"

There was a beat of silence, and Tony shook his head. "We'll figure it out."

Everything leading up the the event was a blur.

He concentrated on staying calm, trying to keep a cool head, and not panicking.

That went out the window as he watched his dad confront Steve Rogers.

"Wow," Tony tilted his head. "It's so weird how you run into people at the airport. Don't you think that's weird?"

Rhodey landed behind him with a thud. "Definitely weird."

"Hear me out, Tony." Steve held a hand out. "That doctor, the psychiatrist, he's behind all of this."

Peter sucked in a breath as T'challa appeared, landing gracefully on his feet like a- well, like a cat. "Captain."

"Your highness." Steve gave him a nod.

"Anyway," Tony clenched his hands into fists. "Ross gave me 36 hours to bring you in. That was 24 hours ago."

"You're after the wrong guy," Steve insisted.

Tony shook his head tiredly. "Your judgment is askew. Your old war buddy killed innocent people yesterday."

"And there are five more super soldiers just like him!" Steve threw an angry look at the people across from him. "I can't let the doctor find them first, Tony. I can't."

"Steve . . ." Natasha spoke up for the first time. "You know what's about to happen. Do you really wanna punch your way out of this one?"

When the Captain stayed silent, Tony sighed. "All right, I've run out of patience. Underoos!"

Peter took up a running start, flipping in to web Steve's hands together, grab the shield, and land neatly on top of a parked car.

"Nice job, kiddo."

He grinned under the mask. "Ah, well, y'know. Could've stuck the landing a little better, but it is what it is."

"We don't-" it sounded like his dad was trying not to laugh. "We don't really need to start up a conversation at the moment."

"Yeah, yeah, I hear you." He raised a hand at Steve. "Cap."

The man just stared at him, looking bewildered. "You've been busy," he said at last, turning back to Tony.

"And you've been a complete idiot." His voice transformed from the easy-going tone into hard as steel. "Dragging in Clint. 'Rescuing' Wanda from a place she doesn't even want to leave, a safe  place. I'm trying to keep- I'm trying to keep you from tearing the Avengers apart."

Steve scoffed. "You did that when you signed."

Peter saw red, and started to open his mouth to say something absolutely scathing, but Tony beat him to it.

"Alright, We're done." He pointed at Steve. "You're gonna turn Barnes over, you're gonna come with us. Now! Because it's us! Or a squad of J-SOC guys . . . with no compunction about being impolite."

Steve lifted his hands in the air, and an arrow hissed through, freeing him from the webs. "Alright, Lang!"

In a split second, the hairs on the backs of Peter's arms rose, and he had a minute to call a warning. "Hey guys, something's- whoa-"

What looked like a man appeared from thin air, knocking him backwards, and landing beside Steve with a jaunty 'I believe this is yours, Captain.'

"What the hell..." Rhodey breathed, and Peter was inclined to agree.

It felt like time sped up at that point, and he went through the motions mechanically, thoughts only clearing when he was outside the terminal, following the Winter Soldier and the guy with wings.

"What the hell is that?" The Winter Soldier sounded majorly freaked out, and Peter kinda enjoyed the sound.

"Everybody has a gimmick," muttered the flying man sullenly.

Just then, Peter threw himself through the glass wall, kicking Flying Dude backwards.

The Winter Soldier threw a punch, but Peter caught his fist with ease. "You have a metal arm? That is awesome, dude!"

A gaso punched out as Flying Dude hit him, but he turned the attack back around, launching himself right back into the fray. "You have the right to remain silent!"

Flying Dude took off, and Peter swung after him.

Peter ducked through the rafters in the terminal, chasing Flying Dude who was flying backwards firing at the same time.

Peter slowed to a stop on the side of a high beam. "You guys are annoying. Whoa-"

He dodged out of the way as the Winter Soldier sent a piece of metal straight for him, and he latched onto it, throwing it back with even more force behind  it. "Hey buddy, I think you lost this!"

He barely had time to revel in the shocked look on his face before Flying Dude kicked him off the beam, and Peter fired a web, sending Flying Dude crashing to the floor.

Before the man could get up, Peter webbed his wrist to the balcony. "Those wings carbon fiber?"

"Is this stuff coming out of you?" The other guy asked disgustedly."

"That would explain the rigidity-flexibility ratio," Peter continued. "Which, gotta say, that's awesome, man."

"I don't know if you've been a fight before," Flying Dude interrupted. "But there's usually not this much talking."

"Alright, sorry, my bad." Peter swung down, but hit the Winter Soldier unintentionally as he darted in the way, and both him and Flying Dude did go flying, right down the the lower floor, where he webbed them both.

"But in my defense, it's usually pretty boring to fight people like you. You take all the fun out of having a-" he hesitated, grinning. "A gimmick."

"Really?" Flying Dude demanded. "Really?"

Peter shrugged lightly. "What can I say? I mean-" he yelped as something crashed into his side, and he was sent hurtling out the side of the terminal.

"Not cool, dude," he muttered, launching a web. "Not cool."

Did you enjoy?

Did you die inside?

Did you scream internally?

If any it all of the above, please do leave a comment/vote, as it makes my day.