three

I stared at my now wrapped hand as I sat in Hotch's office, shaking my head. It was late, probably nine o'clock. I had just gotten out of the ER. I was so angry that I had agreed to go, angry about how deep the damn pencil had actually gone. I had a damn hole in the skin between my thumb and my pointer finger, I was miserable.

I wanted to blame Hotch, but he couldn't have known that was going to happen. He would have never put me in danger knowingly.

Stupid fucking serial killers.

"How are you feeling?" I looked up, seeing Aaron coming up to me with two cups of coffee. He handed one of them to me, and I took it carefully with my other hand.

"As good as I can feel after having a pencil jabbed into my hand" I admitted, and he sat in front of me.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have made you come with me" I couldn't take the apologizes anymore, I leaned closer to him.

"What's wrong with you?" I was genuinely serious, but he looked offended at my words, "No, really. What's up with you and the sorry's? You could never even say the s word before, now you've said it at least six times since I got back" I took a sip with both my eyebrows raised.

He looked abnormally nervous, like he was hiding something.

"No emotion Aaron Hotchner isn't going soft on me now, is he?" I teased, a crooked grin appearing on my face, but that made his once nervous face a flustered one. I narrowed my eyes and examined his face, "Aaron?"

"Oh my God, V! How are you feeling?" we were cut off by Penelope, who rushed in. I backed my face away from Aaron's, looking at Garcia.

"I'm in pain, but I'll be okay" I told her, "I'm leaving soon, I'll be fine in the morning" I ensured, and she nodded. She kissed the top of my head,

"Call me if you need me, sweet cheeks" She said, right before walking out. Aaron stared at her as she did so, looking at her with confused and concerned eyes.

"I know I said I would, but I really need to get her drug tested" My eyes shot in his direction, and I accidentally let out a laugh. That's when he was looking back at me,

"Awe, Aaron! You made a joke" I pointed out, "and it was actually funny!" I admitted, but he seemed like he didn't understand what I was saying. I stopped chuckling, letting out a sigh. I patted his lower thigh, "Someday you'll do it on purpose" I said, standing up. I started walking out,

"Wait, Veronica" I turned my head, seeing he was standing as well. "Why do you call me Aaron?" I pursed my lips and furrowed my brows a bit,

"I'm sorry?" I felt as though I hadn't heard him correctly,

"You're the only one who calls me Aaron" He observed, "The rest of the team calls me Hotch, I don't think I ever hear my name from one of their mouths" He paused, "You have nicknames for all of them, you don't call anyone by their first name but me"

He was a damn good profiler. I hated my job sometimes.

"You're looking too far into it" I made my way to the doorframe,

"Am I though?" I stopped in my steps, grabbing it with my non hurt hand. I looked at him a final time,

A little, but he was right.

"Goodnight, Hotch" I walked out of his office, rushing down the stairs and quickly grabbing my bag. I was out of the door in less than five seconds, but I was grabbed. I jumped and turned around, holding my breath. As my vision focused I saw Spencer. I let out a sigh of relief, linking my arm with his.