Chapter 22

Chapter 22

The first thing that I did when I walked out of the building after my interview was scream. I stood on the sidewalk and screamed at the top of my lungs, praying to God that it didn't reach the 17th floor. A few people stopped and stared, some walked a little bit faster and one man even asked if I was alright. All I could muster in response was some sort of manic cackle.

How do I explain that, physically, – I was fine. Mentally, on the other hand, some man that I had punched and then somehow gotten into a weird on-again/off-again friendship with had just crashed my job interview with two of his friends and secured me the position through a web of intricately spun lies? All I could really do was laugh. There's no explaining that.

As soon as I had completed my minor breakdown and had gotten a hold of my senses, my feet made the decision that came next. Instead of walking back to the parking lot where I knew that Harry and probably now Ty and Luke were waiting, I spun in the opposite direction and headed toward downtown – all on foot and through memory.

Harry's first phone call came through around 5 minutes after my trek down the sidewalk had started. I knew that it was him before I had even taken out my phone, but still shook my head and pressed decline when I looked at the screen.

Immediately, he tried to ring through again. And then immediately again after that. And then again and again until I finally picked up.

"Leave me alone, Harry." I seethed as I held the phone to my ear, increasing my pace.

"May, where the fuck are you?" he growled into the speaker.

"Walking."

"Walking where?"

"Home."

"For Christ's sake," he muttered, and I heard his engine start through the phone. "Do you even know how to get back to your fuckin' place?"

I didn't respond. There was more commotion on the other hand before he spat, "I'm coming to get you." The line went dead.

I was almost sure that Harry wouldn't be able to find me for at least 15 minutes considering he didn't even know what direction I had left in. Unfortunately, he pulled up not even 3 minutes after he had hung up and left me yet again believing that he could read my mind. Either that or he had somehow placed a tracker on my phone. I wouldn't be surprised.

"Get in the car, May." Harry's voice was ominously serious as he rolled his window down and slowed to drive beside the sidewalk where I was walking.

I didn't even look at him as I clutched my bag tighter to my side and sped up.

"You're being a child," Harry drawled. I took a quick side glance at him, trying hard not to trip over my feet in the process. His elbow was rested on the open window, his thumb hovering over his lip. His other hand was clenched so tightly on the wheel that his knuckles were white.

"And you're holding up traffic," I quipped.

"And you're being fucking stubborn. Just get in the car."

"I'm not getting in the car."

"Look, I know you're mad. We can talk about–"

"Mad?" I stopped dead and whirled around to face him, sputtering out a dry laugh. "I'm not mad. I am livid. I am absolutely infuriated at your behaviour."

"Infuriated? That seems like a stretch. We got you the job, did we not?"

I threw my arms up in the air. "At what fucking cost? You forced your way into my interview behind my back and lied to my future employer about my job history."