New Year New Surprises

Chapter 26 - recap

He suddenly pulled me over to him and planted a kiss on my forehead. I sat there staring at the ground for a moment trying to get the flush color on my face to leave.

After we finished we ate breakfast and enjoyed messing with our new things all day, especially Wendy. When nightfall came I lay in bed staring out the large window at the stars. A song came to my mind and I sang it softly.

" 'Cause you're a sky, cause you're a sky full of stars..."

• * •

Chapter 27 - New Year, New Surprises

I pulled on the beautiful red dress for the party the Dragneel's where throwing. It was to celebrate some business deal, but Mrs. Dragneel had insisted I come to learn what it would be like when I married Nastsu. The thought made my heart race and I sighed softly.

"Thinking about me?" A smug voice said from behind me. I whirled around to face Natsu, dressed in his suit, his spiky pink hair tossed carelessly.

I frown and bite my lip. "Your hair..." I murmur as I reach up to fix the mess of hair.

"Hey, don't mess with it Luce," he pushed my arm back down, but I stubbornly reached up again.

"Lucy, it's fine the way it is," he insists.

"But it looks like you just rolled out of bed," I reach up again and this time he grabs my wrist and pulls me forward, his other hand shooting out to hold my waist. As I stopped resisting he let my arm drop down around his neck. A smirk played across his lips as I blushed slightly. I finally pushed myself away and turned back to tie my hair up and pull on my gloves.

Then Natsu and I walked into the ball room where hundreds of the Dragneel's business associates where gathered. I ducked my head for a bit, letting my hair half hide my face. Natsu noticed and made me look up at him.

"Hey, why are you being so shy?" He asked gently.

I shrug. "I feel uneasy..." I murmur.

"My my, so you are still trooping around with him I see," a familiar voice sent chills down my spine and set my blood boiling.

"Father," I grit my teeth.

"So, what happened to wanting to be father of the year?" I turn around.

He has his hands in his pockets and he looks at me evenly. "I have something to tell you. Mind stepping out?" I looked over at Natsu who nodded. I half hoped he would say no. I followed my Father outside.

"What do you want?" I ask impatiently.

"I have something to tell you about your mother," he starts and I immediately perk up.

"She didn't die of sickness Lucy. She died in a plane wreck, a planned wreck," he tells me.

I fell to my knee's, not caring as pain jolted through them.

"She...she..." I stumble over my words like a baby learning to speak.

"She never fell ill, Lucy. She was perfectly healthy when she drew her last breath," his voice made me cringe.

"Why did you lie?! Why did you lie to me!" I scream my questions at him.

"Because I wanted to keep you from the harsh truth," he said coldly.

"No, you did it because you where selfish and didn't want to be my father. You never have," I spit.

"Now I think that's a little harsh," he purred.

"So is lying to me about my own mother! Did you plan the crash? What kind of monster are you?!" Im going hysterical at this point, and I'm staring at the ground my eyes wide. I was trembling with infuriation.

"There is still so much you don't know..." My father turned and walked away, chuckling as he went. I let out the sob caught in my chest and I fell to my side. I curled up in a ball as I cried, the cold air surrounding me.

She had been murdered, and I never knew.

• * •

"...nywhere, you stay next to her. Your unusual body heat will help keep her warm. Someone go find out how Jude made it in!" A commanding voice filled my ears. My eyes wouldn't open and I still felt icy. That's when I was pulled back against someone's chest. The warmth made my cold body ache.

"I'm sorry Luce, I should've come for you sooner..." Natsu whispered to me.

"...I..it...it's ok-kay..." I murmur. He holds me tighter and I find myself drifting off, too tired to think.

• * •

After I woke up and took a warm shower the only thing on my mind was my mother, and her death. I knew virtually nothing, everything I had been told was a heap of lies. I sat on my bed with my head in my hands.

School was starting again and I was looking forward to being busy all day, and having something to do. Natsu was excited to get back on the court, and Wendy was happy because she would see Romeo.

I heard Wendy calling my name so I got up and went out into the hallway. She was all dressed to go outside with her sled in hand. She had a playful smile on her face.

"Wanna go sledding?" She asks. I smile and nod. I grab my coat and pull on my boots, gloves and hat. Then we head out onto the mountains of white.

• * •

Chapter 28 - School is back, and so is she - preview

I tapped my pencil restlessly. I was waiting for the bell to ring to release us for lunch. When it finally did we all leapt up and put our things away, hurrying from the room. I found Levy in the hall who was walking with Gajeel. I smiled at them.

"Aw, you guys are cute!" I gush. Levy blushes.

"I have to go Shrimp, I'll see you later," Gajeel kissed her and headed down the hall. I looked to Levy who was very red.

"Don't say a word," she threatens. I laugh and hold my hands up.

"GaLe," I snicker before running from Levy.