Chapter One

Joshua

The sun heated up my body, forcing me awake. It must have been late in the morning, but I was too exhausted to focus on that. Sleep had been elusive these past few weeks and hearing Liz scream last night had not been helping. 

Shuffling started behind the door; I could hear everyone begin to get up and move around. It must be a late morning for all of us. I twisted in the stiff sheets, wishing for a sliver more of peace, but I know it is hopeless. I was up now. My bones cracked as I sat up and straighten out my body. I then got out of bed and pulled out some clothes before changing into them.

It took me a while but I finally made it downstairs to the kitchen. I was the last one. The triplets were running the conversation. I watched as Tara leaned into Devon, trying to get him to agree with her. Mahdi listened closely, his eyes never leaving whoever was talking. In the back, Clay was quietly trying to make some sort of food. A loud laugh pulled me back to the conversation, Clara took her usual spot, hopping onto the countertop next to Nat, and both turned back to face Liz, who was still in her pajamas leaning onto the island, obviously the center of focus.

I tried to listen to what they were talking about. But as usual, it was random things. It always surprised me how the girls could have such long conversations about nothing. After a few minutes, I decided that they were not going to bring up last night.

"So does anybody wanna let me know what happened?" I asked. Tara rolled her eyes into Devon's chest, crossed her arms, and scoffed, all her favorite things. I don't get much out of life, but getting under her skin does give me something. 

"Well if you woke up sooner, we would know.... sleeping beauty," Zara pushed her body off the counter and onto the island next to Liz. Her taunt was normal, along with the sass. I pull my eyes to Liz, giving her a look, wanting an explanation. 

"Liz," I turned to her, "you screamed?"  She pursed her lips and looked away down, almost in shame, confirming my statement, "did one of the couriers do something?" She shook her head. We all looked at each other quietly. The only time she would scream was when one of them came into her room, especially when they would get too close, something I have explained multiple times that they should not do. Zara's eyes frosted over first, that familiar golden glaze that we have all gotten used to. A sign of the secret conversations that we are not allowed to know about. Clara and Tara's followed quickly behind. We waited, knowing this could take some time. 

The three came to again, all nodding their heads. Liz looks between them, trying to figure out whose turn it was. Her eyes landed on Tara, who was slowly calming down her breathing, before nodding up to Liz. We had all done this before, but I still got flashes every time Liz had to speak. I watch as Liz and Tara open their mouths at the same time, a force pulling Tara's chest up and forward like she is going to throw up. As Tara gasped out, Liz did the same, only in. We all stared at Liz, knowing we have little time.

"There is this girl," her frail voice chimed, " I don't know..... what is going on...... but last night they th-threw her in my room." She let go, exhaling heavily, as Tara breathed in. It was not a lot of information, but Liz didn't speak fast and it took her a lot of time to properly form the words and get them out.

None of us knew what to do. It has been years since we had a new person in the house.

Clay spoke first. "Is she...?" his voice lingered off, not wanting to say the word. Liz quickly shook her head "no". I let out a small breath of relief. We all had the same question, only Devon was the first to ask it: "Then why did you scream?"

Liz looked to Tara again, silently waiting for the go-ahead. Tara took a few more breaths then one big one. Again, we could almost see the oxygen leaving Tara's body and entering Liz's. "She had no idea what was going on....... she couldn't understand me.......... when I let go.....something came out of her...... there was green and....."