F O R T Y O N E

FORTY-ONE: FIGHTS & MUCH MORE

"We need to talk," he said as we exited the car.

I scoffed, "Figured that already." 

"Stop throwing snarky comments like that." 

"Gosh, I never thought that I'd have to ask you about how I should speak." My bitch mode was on and I wasn't holding myself back.

He grunted behind me as I walked up the stairs to our room with him following me closely. Things were going to be bad, I had a strong feeling but I was breathing and would not back off.

I opened an earring halfway when he interrupted, "You were wrong." The thing that pissed me off was that he wasn't asking but stating. As if he knew everything in the world and my opinion or thinking didn't matter. Asshole.

"Of course. I was wrong. What's the next assumption you have for me, Mr. Raymond?" I smiled crookedly, shifting all my attention to him while the pointed end of the earring dug into my palm.

"He said what everyone thinks! Girl racers are taken to be sluts. You're an exception but that will not change people's thinking."  He tried making me understand but I knew he was losing it at my witty throwbacks. But I wasn't going to hold myself back. I couldn't.

"Are you sure that I'm not a slut? I suggest you reconsider. Because that's what you were implying when you abused me in the middle of the road!" I screamed, losing my senses and throwing the earring in a random direction. It's landing made a slight noise but the voice was ignored in the thick air. It felt like a high chunk of energy was sucked out of me leaving me dizzy. 

He breathed deeply with closed eyes while I was fuming. He took a step forward and I held up my hand warning him with a stern gaze to be where he was.

"Okay, you're right. He was wrong. But you can't talk to such an old man in that tone. You created a scene in front of so many people. They were whispering so bad things -"

"You really care about what people were whispering? Didn't you feel the slightest pang in your chest- " I emphasized by bringing my thumb and pointer finger close to each other before poking my chest with the pointer finger, "- when his son was practically eye raping me or when they just-" I grasped which resulted in a sob breaking in the thick air. 

I didn't realize I had started crying till then and my heart carved inside when he looked at me as if he didn't know what was going on. So much was happening, I was hurting deep within, the surroundings were hazy, my head was throbbing and he felt...nothing?

I hiccuped before forcing out my voice, "-they judged me, your wife, in front of you. You're pathetic. Self-obsessed, conceited, foolish man." I threw the earnings in my hard to same distant corner. If they made a noise which indicated that they broke, I didn't hear it above the rate at which my own heart was scattering. My heart broke when he looked down guiltily, helplessly and I continued sniffling in the concentrated atmosphere filled with tension.

 A screeching voice followed as I pulled at my hair while I felt the room revolve. Sweat was gathering on my forehead and the stupid bun was making my hair itch. I pulled the pins out harshly, mourning at the pain but the sobs didn't seize. 

"Lia," he croaked out and I pulled myself back when he tried to hold me. Regret and shame contoured his face but I wasn't sure because everything was blurred with the tears. 

 "No," I sobbed more, covering my face with my hands but he pulled me towards him anyways, using the strength of his muscles but it was comforting and there went my resistance. My defense was weak and not totally determined because I was yearning to have his touch on my body yet I was pulling away because I was… hurt.