Maya's POV

At the mall Josh bought a shirt and boxers - which was actually quite funny as he was so awkward about it. I didn't buy much as what I had in my backpack would last me another night, however I did buy a couple little things. I bought some fluffy socks and some new pyjama shorts as they were really soft and in the sale.

We were now sat on the floor leaning against the bottom of the bed eating a plain cheese pizza and fries we got from a takeout place at the mall.

"What time are you wanting to leave tomorrow?" Josh asked me as he reached for a 2 bottles of water then passed me one of them.

"Thanks," I took the bottle, "and I don't mind, maybe like 11 and we can stop half way for lunch?"

"That sounds good." He looked up at me and I couldn't help but laugh as he had pizza sauce on his chin. "What?"

"Nothing, it's just," I grabbed a napkin and leaned over the food, placing one arm on the ground to keep my balance, and wiped his chin and we both smiled.

Somehow my arm gave in and I fell, right into his lap, so my face was looking up at him. We both laughed and made eye contact.

As we started to stop laughing, he used his hand to brush the hair out of my face and kept smiling at me, and I tried ever so hard not to blush but it was inevitable.

I quickly sat up and fake coughed to try and clear the awkward atmosphere that had appeared.

"I'm sorry." Josh said quietly.

"What? No. Don't be sorry - you didn't do anything that you need to say sorry about." I said as I sat on my knees and reaches for the last 2 fries.

"I made things awkward when I was just trying to do a simple nice thing."

"Josh, honestly it's okay." I smiled and he nodded. I then reached for his hand, not thinking he'd let me hold it for more than a few seconds. But he did.

We sat in silence for about 5 minutes. I just kept staring at our hands, and him the same.

"I like you." I whispered looking up at him through my eyelashes.

"I like you too. That's why we're playing the long game together." Mood ruined.

"Yeah," I let go off his hand. "I'm gonna get changed for bed."

"I did it again. I'm sorry."

"No, Josh, you're right. We're playing the long game. I know that, I do. I just don't wanna be reminded that I can't be with you right now." I grabbed my pajamas and went to the bathroom to get changed.

I walked in, locked the door and then went towards the sink and turned the tap on, then splashed my face with cold water so I could try snap myself back to reality.

Josh doesn't want to be with you. I hate it.

Why when I find the most perfect guy that I get on with really well and knows me so well, and just happens to be very pleasing to the eye, I can't be with 'cause I'm sixteen, and it's not enough.

In the state of New York I could technically be with Josh, but he didn't want me.

Not yet anyway.