Things That Will

Hera's lips taste salty from her tears, and my lip aches from a bruise just below the surface. It's still like floating on air and fireworks and comfort and home.

But Hera abruptly breaks away, and the finger balanced delicately under my chin turns into five gripping my jawline tightly.

"But I swear to you: if you ever pull a stunt like that again, if you ever jump to conclusions without talking to me or without any proof..." Hera speaks quietly, coldly, and I'm equal parts terrified and turned on. "I will trade you to Hondo for a protocol droid without a second thought."

I swallow hard, but I deserve it. Hera has never been anything but faithful, even in the days when she couldn't admit her feelings. It was obvious. I was it. I was the one, the only one.

"Y-yeah. Got it, babe."

"Good," and I can hear the smirk in her tone as she releases her grip. Hera plants a quick kiss on my cheek before clambering to her feet. "And you owe me dinner."

I chuckle. "What did you have in mind?"

Hera doesn't respond right away and I can feel the slight stir around her as the force moves. It's almost as if she were smiling with that cute little grin I've always loved.

"Can you still make genny pie?"

I guess we'll both find out.

*

"How in the universe did you manage to cook it perfectly? Like the veggies are so tender and the crust is so golden!"

"Is that a blind jab?"

Hera's giggle floats through the mess hall. "It wasn't really a jab... More of a serious question."

I tap my fork against the metal tray in thought. "I guess the force just told me it was cooked to absolute perfection," I say dramatically ending with an air kiss for show.

I earn a snort from Hera, but her voice isn't mocking when she says, "The force has been with you, this whole time. Hasn't it?"

"Uh, do you know what the qualifications for Jedi are?"

Something cloth smacks the center of my forehead, and I guess that means Hera turned her napkin into a projectile. At least it wasn't the cutlery.

"I mean," Hera grumbles, "it was the force that kept you alive. That's the only thing that makes sense."

The thought had occurred to me, but of course, Hera would be the one to point out the importance of it. She has a way of understanding things that I bet even Master Yoda has to meditate on for centuries. Hera understands life.

And now the force.

I smile. "Yeah, it's the only explanation."

Metallic clanking echos in the small dining area as Hera clears away the plates. I pick up my share and follow the sound of her footsteps to the sink. Warmth radiates from her body as I reach around to deposit the dirty dishes into the basin. We're close enough that I can feel the rise and fall of her shoulders as she breathes.

Hera's jumpsuit is soft and worn underneath the tips of my fingers as I wrap my arms around her waist tracing long lines along her stomach. She gives a light sigh and leans into my touch. It's so strange to think that a whole life is being made only centimeters from my fingers.

My lips brush the tips of Hera's earcone as I whisper, "Have you thought of any names?"

Hera seems taken aback by my question as she whirls to face me.

"I haven't really had the time, " she replies tersely.

Right.

"Well, " I press a kiss onto the top of her hand as I lace my fingers into hers, "first thing that comes to mind."

"Hmm... Somina. I like the name Somina."

Somina. The sound of the name has a certain ring to it as Hera says it. It's almost like the feeling of wind on my face or the warmth or a hot shower after hours of practice. But it doesn't sound quite right. Something moves the force quickly across Hera's abdomen.

"And if it's a boy?"

Hera falls silent for a moment as she thinks. Then, "No."

"Knoe?" Is that a thing?

I earn a giggle-snort. "No, no. I mean it's not a boy. I've got a feeling that it's a girl."

But I have a feeling you're wrong...

"Humor me, " I insist deciding to keep my instincts to myself. My hands still have her cold one's captive, and I rub my thumbs against the center of her palms.

"Ugh, " Hera groans, "fine. Give me a minute."

The room grows quiet with anticipation, and I can imagine Hera's face contorted in effort and concentration. Just when I think she might give up, I hear a murmur of victory.

"That's easy," and I can hear the satisfaction in her tone. "If it's a boy, and I highly doubt it will be, then you can name the baby."

The corners of my lips turn up in response to the answer. "You got it, boss."