Chapter 49

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, wait. Back up. Hold on just one freaking second ... you are sisters?!" Lumiere screeched. We practically swerved off the road, caught a few unfortunate shrubs growing too close to the asphalt and decimated a poor squirrel that did not think we would ride so close to the edge, before Lumiere hauled the airport's rented car back onto the road.

A collective groan from all inhabitants sounded through the car as open injuries flared in protest of the unsteady driving.

"Maybe we should wait until we get back to the compound before we have this talk." I suggested.

We were in route for the compound, a day and a half after Dustin and I woke up, which was the minimal amount of time needed for our group to recuperate before we were able to rally for long distance travel. Although Lumiere strenuously argued about our mode of transportation, he eventually agreed to fly back to California. But this time, I was prepared and I drugged him with a very heavy dose of sleeping medication before the plane took off.

Needless to say, it was a very quiet and relaxing flight back.

Erie stayed behind in New York to supervise matters with the still unsteady emotions of those who once served the Count. The Council's minions were loyal to the men we buried that day, because they knew of no other way. But now they were being asked to shift those loyalties to the same people they have been trained to hate and it instigated a monsoon of intrapersonal dilemmas.

Chris' brothers stayed behind as well to support and protect Erie if tensions continue to rise. However, they did not have the opportunity of seeing Erie the way I did after Lumiere got hurt. There was no doubt in my mind that Erie was not the one who would need protection if peace between sides is ever tested.

And no matter how hard I insisted otherwise, Evangeline stayed with Erie. She did not utter a word to anyone and when I asked if she wanted to come with us to the compound, Evangeline only shook her head and sat quietly in the corner. I would have persisted if I did not recognize the trauma in her vacant expression. After all, she is only a child and all the maturity in the world would not have prepared her for what she witnessed.

After disputes are settled and old enemies are prepared for new leadership, Erie promised to bring Evangeline to the compound. Erie will be serving as an ambassador between the new Council and the surrounding gangs, as a neutral party to direct negotiations on updating regulations and technicalities.

And, once all has been addressed, Erie promised to take some personal time to visit me specifically. We have so much to catch up on, a lifetime worth of stories to share, but we have all the time in the world to do so.

"This doesn't even make any sense, how could you two be sisters?" Lumiere continued on, completely oblivious to those of us hurting in the back seat even as he loosened the seatbelt from where it was irritating his own injury at the center of his chest, "I have known Erie for years ... I mean, none of us ever knew her last name ... but she definitely would have told me if she had a sister."

Corinth chided from the farthest seats in the back of the van, "Haven't you been paying attention? She told us – like – a million times that she isn't allowed to share what she knows."

"But this is different." Even though he was confused and in dire need of an explanation I hadn't the chance to give yet, Lumiere adopted a broadening smile, "I can't believe you two are actually sisters. That is so insane!"

Eli leaned forward from the back to inspect me closely, "You know, I never would have noticed but now that I think about it, you two do have the same nose."

"And the same stunning good looks." Dustin added with a wink.

The car swerved again, dangerously close to tipping this time, and Lumiere shrieked, "Oh my god, that means if Erie and I get married, you would be my sister-in-law!"