Chapter 11

Celine took a step forward and raised her long sword for an overhead strike to her opponent. Her opponent, Zayden, easily deflected her attack with a side step and twirled around with his sword, nearly slicing her back. 

"Once again, you almost died." 

Celine narrowed her eyes and whirled around. "How can you move so fast?"

It had been a year since Zayden started teaching her how to use a sword. As they continued to train every other day, Celine came to terms with her incompetence. She had never won against Zayden during their practices, nor had she become a great sword master she envisioned herself to be. Celine's new objective was to learn how to counter-attack and defend herself well, aiming for the vital parts of the attackers body. She was sturdy and proficient, for an average soldier. 

Meanwhile, Zayden climbed up the ranks and became the strongest sword master. He had earned respect from his comrades, but not from the wealthy families residing in the capital. They didn't dare disrespect him blatantly due to his close connections with Celine.

Celine had started to earn a name for herself in the social circles too. She was a trendsetter who introduced various different makeup products through her "merchant". She had refined the pre-existing makeup brushes and formulas, making them safer and easier to use. Women looked more youthful and radiant with her cosmetic line. She even received praises from men who noticed their wives appear younger and much more beautiful. 

Celine also accepted commissions and requests to teach them how to use the products. She did makeup for brides on their wedding night and even Emperor Michaelis I's concubines came knocking on her door. This phenomenon improved her image and popularity. 

Her accomplishments attracted the Emperor's attention, and she was eventually invited to meet with him privately. 

Celine was still wary of the Emperor due to his reputation. Having a private audience with a wise, great Emperor sounded exciting, but having a private audience with an inadequate, unreasonable Emperor was petrifying. An unreasonable Emperor could commit genocide  without any objections. She had personally witnessed the current ruler neglect his responsibilities, commit wicked acts toward his children, and ogle Celine with a perverted scrutiny. He was on the path to becoming a tyrannical leader, if he wasn't one already. 

She deliberately covered herself and layered as many shawls as she could onto her gown. Hala also understood her intentions and attempted to hide her beauty with a ridiculous amount of makeup. 

***

Celine announced her presence and steadily entered the throne room, where the Emperor sat on an elevated throne at the center of the lavishly adorned room. There were many decorative, detailed mosaics and motifs surrounding the throne, emphasizing the throne as the central feature. The interior featured golden tiles, ornate tapestries and patterns on the walls. Her steps seemed to echo clamorously against the marble floor as she made her way towards the throne. A beautiful concubine sat on the Emperor's lap, and they were shamelessly flirting while the royal advisors lowered their heads.  

"Greetings to his Imperial Majesty, Emperor of the Zionitte Empire." Celine gave a deep bow and lowered her gaze. 

"You may stand." The Emperor smiled at his future daughter-in-law and withdrew from the embrace of his woman. 

Celine quickly glanced upwards and saw that he was in a good mood. His eyes seemed to be uninterested in her and only transfixed on his concubine. 

"My future daughter-in-law is now 13. Shall I grant you a gift? I can give you anything." Then the Emperor returned his attention to the woman and squeezed her bosom, and the concubine let out a giggle.