Chapter 1

Crisp autumn air swept through the simple, boring suburban streets. At least that would be how Elizabeth Montgomery would describe the town she lived in. She pulled the hood up on her jacket and continued texting her best friend Sheila as she walked down the street from Casey's gas station and General Store, a large Styrofoam cup of Cherry Pepsi, light ice, in her hand and a half dozen glazed donuts in a plastic bag hanging from her wrist.

      Today was one of the more exciting days of Elizabeth's year; the Renaissance Festival. Every year like clockwork Sheila and Elizabeth would plan a day where they would take turns hosting the other at their house to dress up and set out for a day of pretending to be something and someone you're not. Since Elizabeth believed she was a run of the mill basic 22 year old community college student, pretending to be someone else was a welcome change.

      Opening the front door to the single floor ranch house she called home, a tidal wave of barking dogs, TV voices and her younger brother screaming at video games flooded towards her. The familiar sounds of home.

"Shelia's in your room Lizzy!" Elizabeth's mother yelled from the kitchen.

"Thanks mom!" Elizabeth yelled back to her over the rest of the noise.

Anxious to get started, Elizabeth waited no time running down the stairs to the basement level where her room was located and flinging open the door. Sheila was inside as promised, attempting to lace up a pleather corset on her own. Her endeavor was not going as planned and the more she heavily sighed from frustration, the looser the corset would become with the swell of her rib cage.

"Amazing, Liz you're here! Cinch me in will you, my waist needs to be snatched."

Elizabeth set down her cup and the bag of donuts on the vanity table next to her and came to her best friend's aid.

"How tight do you really want this thing?" She asked Shelia with apprehension in her voice.

"As tight as you can." Her friend answered. "Just do it quick, I'll suck in my stomach and hold my breath until you're done."

Before Elizabeth could comment on how she didn't think that was a very healthy thing to do her friend took a dramatic deep breath and sucked in. Elizabeth rolled her eyes and made quick work tightening the laces and tying it off. Shelia let out her breath loudly and seemed pleased with Elizabeth's handiwork.

"Can you breathe?" Elizabeth questioned.

"Enough." Was Sheila's reply.

      Elizabeth made a mental note that if she noticed anything off about her friend while they were out she would force her to loosen the corset. Elizabeth didn't know much about proper corsetry but she knew enough from her cosplay circles that you usually ease yourself into the tighter lacing. Unfortunately Elizabeth knew Sheila was one of the most stubborn women she had ever met and there would be no use arguing with her over it.

      Making her way over to the closet where her costume was hanging on a hook, a giddy feeling fluttered in Elizabeth's stomach. She had been looking forward to the Renaissance festival since the first day of the fall semester when the flyers advertising student discounts on tickets are hung around the campus of her community college. This year she was going as an elf character she had put together herself. Dark brown fake leather leggings, thigh high brown boots with laces, a peasant off the shoulder top with an under-bust corset and a green cloak with gold trimming. She finishes it off with some nature themed jewelry, a belt that has a few pouches attached for her phone and wallet, her prosthetic ears and a long wavy ginger wig styled in a series of intricate braids at the crown.