33: Misty Palms Oasis

"Oh joy, we were captured by the earth queen's armies, were in a prison in the desert and I have no idea where we are, and I can't sense much outside this holding cell. I'm worried about mom, what if she can't find us in time, we could be in serious trouble." 

Ally, Korra, and Asami were loaded into an airship to be taken to Ba Sing Se. Ally was searching for something she could bend with her feet, that was an unknown fact about her, she could earthbend and metalbend with her feet, just like her grandma Toph. They were chained in a metal room and Ally had to stifle a chuckle. 

"Asami," Ally hissed. "I can get us out of here, but I can't metalbend without making a ton of noise. Can you get me a little bit of metal?" 

"Yeah," Asami pushed herself against the wall and broke the railing that was holding her in place. She put it into Ally's feet and watched as the young woman bent it into a dagger. 

"Can you cut the straps?" Ally asked. "I can do the rest." Asami cut the straps and straight jacket holding Ally in place, she got her hands free and bent the chains around her, and hopped out of her prison, cracking her knuckles. 

"Nice one, Ally," Asami hi-fived her friend. 

"Korra, I need you to stay there while Asami and I find a way out of this thing," 

Ally told Korra, who grudgingly agreed. They hopped down into the mechanics of the ship and told Korra to yell for help in five minutes. When the time passed, she started yelling for the guard, and when he came in, he got knocked out. Asami and Ally freed Korra and took control of the airship, but they crashed in the desert and the ship was damaged. They all worked together to dig the ship out of a sand dune. Meanwhile, Lin was on the move, following their path. She found the Jeep abandoned on the side of the road, and looked at it. There was an envelope in the front seat and she picked it up, just as Naga jumped up and roared. Lin yelled and stepped back, taking a defensive position. When Naga realized who it was, she jumped up and greeted Lin with a lick to the cheek, making her hair stand up. 

"So, you want to scare the life out of me, and now you're all cute," Lin sighed and was answered with another lick. Pabu jumped out of the car and ran around Lin's torso, chittering. Lin held the fire ferret in front of her and put her onto Naga's saddle. She gave the polar bear dog some beef strips she had in her pouch and turned around to read the letter. 

"Hey, mom," it read. "I'm sorry I left Zaofu, but Korra needed my help, I couldn't leave her all alone. We found Aiwei at the Misty Palms Oasis and were going to confront him. Don't worry, I'll be okay. We should be there, if we're not, I don't know. Don't worry about me, I'll be fine. Love, Ally." The note was signed in Ally's pretty cursive handwriting. Lin smiled and slipped the note into her pouch, walking back to her Jeep to radio Tonraq. 

"Lin?" Tonraq asked. "Any luck?"

"I found the Jeep, but the kids aren't with it," she said. "I got a note from my daughter saying they were at the oasis last, so meet me there." Back in the desert, Asami fixed up the ship, just for a giant sand shark to come and destroy it. Everyone made a run for it and dove down as the ship split in half. 

"Oh joy," Ally groaned. "We're too far to walk, and we may not have a few hours out here." Asami came up with a plan to create a sand sailor to get out of the desert. Zaheer assassinated the queen and Lin and Tonraq were waiting in the Misty Palms Oasis. Asami made the sand sailor and Korra and Ally airbent the sail of the sailor to get them moving. They got out of the area just before the sand shark attacked again.  They escaped but were almost eaten in the process. When they got back to the oasis, Ally jumped off the sailor and ran to solid land. She saw a dragon tied to a palm tree and made her way into the pub where they first started searching. Korra and Asami followed behind. When Ally saw her mom, she broke out into a run, Lin stood up and was almost knocked over by her daughter. 

"Oh, Ally," she said with a light chuckle as she held her daughter close. "Are you ok? Are you safe?"

"I'm fine, mom, are you ok?" Ally asked as she released herself from the hug. 

"I'm ok," Lin told her. "I don't know if you remember Lord Zuko." Ally bowed in respect. 

"Of course, Lord Zuko, it's an honor to see you again," Ally said. 

"It's lovely to see you too," Zuko replied. 

"How'd you find us?" Ally asked, taking a seat next to her mom. 

"I'm still a detective," Lin chuckled. "Your old mom still has some tricks up her sleeve." Ally laughed, but it faded as she listened to the news. The earth queen was dead, assassinated by the Red Lotus. Ba Sing Se was in chaos, Mako and Bolin were captured by Zaheer, no one knew where they were, and things were only about to get worse. Much, much worse. They had no idea.

"Mom, Zaheer is part of an organization called the Red Lotus," Ally explained. "Dedicated to taking out world leaders, and letting the world go into chaos. Korra and I confronted him, and his next move is to deal with us."

"I'll protect you, Ally," Lin vowed. "I promise, I wouldn't let you or Korra get hurt."

"We'll be ok," Ally told her. "Just don't get hurt in the process."