Chapter 68

Third POV

Legolas watched as Miranda was dragged away by the dwarf. Part of him wanted to chase after her, but he felt rooted to the ground where he stood. His eyes wandered to Tauriel, he wondered if it was time to let her go.

~*~

"What was the deal with you and that elf?" Fili asked Miranda.

"It matters not," She replied. "He loves another."

Miranda felt a hand on her shoulder, "Do not give up hope just yet." Kili said. "I believe even if he does not love you now, he will one day."

The female elf shook her head and didn't not reply. Her eyes wandered to the Lonely Mountain. How would she be able to stand it there without Smaug?

"We heard you screaming to the dragon," Bofur said. "What were you saying?"

"It doesn't matter now." Miranda replied.

"Miranda?" Kili asked. "What does 'Adar' mean?"

The woman looked at the young dwarf for a moment before smiling bitterly, "Father." The dwarf gave a small gasp but said nothing further. For that, she was grateful.

When the boat reached the opposite bank, they began making their way over the rocky hillside towards the gates of Erebor.

~*~

When they entered Bofur called out, "Hello? Anybody home?" When no answer came, he began calling for his brothers. "Bombur? Bifur?"

"Wait!" Came a voice descending the stairs. "Stop! Stop! Stop. You all need to leave." Bilbo whispered to the group in front of him. "You need to leave. We all need to leave."

"We only just got here!" Bofur exclaimed looking confused.

Bilbo sighed, "I've tried talking to him, but he won't listen."

"What do you mean, Laddie?" Bofur asked.

"Thorin!" Bilbo exclaimed. "Thorin. Thorin. He's been down there for days. He doesn't sleep. He barely eats. He's not himself. Not at all. It's this- its' this place. I think a sickness lies upon it."

"A sickness?" Kili asked, concern filling his gaze. Fili was leaning and looking over Bilbo's shoulder. "What kind of sickness?" Fili walked past the other dwarves and down the stairs.

"Fili." Bilbo called. "Fili?" The others followed him down but stopped when he saw his uncle.

"Gold," Thorin spoke, his voice soft. "Gold beyond measure. Beyond sorrow and grief. Behold, the Great Treasure Hold of Thror." Worry filled Fili's eyes and Thorin threw a huge ruby at his nephew. Fili caught the jewel and Thorin continued, "Welcome my sister's sons to the Kingdom of Erebor."