Cornered

Arlo sat in the command post as the commanders spoke about what they should do next.

The other commanders and tacticians - with the exception of Eunice and Claire - didn't know about the spy yet, so they didn't hold back as they discussed their next course of actions.

Arlo saw Keith from the corner of his eyes and looked to Gale, who had a blank expression on his face.

"So what are we supposed to do now? Our plan for the attack was unsuccessful." Hound asked.

"How did it even go wrong, Eunice?" Alice asked.

"I... there were-" Eunice began, only to be interrupted by Gale.

"There were more soldiers guarding the palace than there were supposed to be," Gale said. "A hell of a lot more."

Arlo's eyes widened.

What is he doing? He'll give away the fact we know there's a spy!

"Well, we're not sure why there were more soldiers guarding the palace, but we can confirm one thing." Caitlyn said.

"They are beginning to pay more attention to their defenses."

"That's right... Vaequiles is... putting up defenses." Eunice had a look of surprise one her face.

"Does that mean they're beginning to see us as a possible threat?" Claire asked.

"Most likely not. They are still much stronger, but they may begin to see we are capable of doing some damage."

He's not lying but he's not telling the whole truth, either.

Arlo sighed as he leaned back on his seat.

I wonder if Pierce's plan in spreading the news is going well...

"You seem to be at ease." Gale spoke as he looked to Arlo.

"Oh. I'm just thinking about how far we still have to go." Arlo replied.

"And that puts you at ease?" Hound asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I don't recall saying I was restful."

"Why can't we attack from the air?" Alice asked, "My pegasus knights should have no problem infiltrating Vaequilian land."

"The pegasus would be shot out of the sky. It's a terrible idea to attack with pegasus on the front lines." Khai answered.

"What are we supposed to do, then? Nothing we can do will really affect Vaequiles." Alice sounded defeated.

Arlo glanced at Claire and saw her frown as she thought.

This really isn't the way to resolve this war, is it?