61

The assassination attempt against He Heng had caused both the court and the hougong to descend into chaos, yet He Heng himself was at peace. He didn't have to wake up early to attend court nor did he have to fence with those two bothersome brothers. He saw He Ming, clad in a brown robe, approaching him and a smile appeared on his face, "Today's weather is pretty good. It's perfect for going outside."

He Ming nodded in agreement. The day after er ge was attacked, there had been a rainstorm. Today's sun was exceptionally bright. Thinking back to last night, after he had finished eating, er ge had invited him for a walk to Bai Yun Mountain. He didn't hesitate in accepting his invitation. But right now, he noticed that er ge was standing in the courtyard as if he was waiting for someone.

"Yu di heard that there is a Five Estates Monastery on top of Bai Yun Mountain. Many people have visited the area." He Ming smiled, "It's just that I've never been there."

"Us brothers are too busy with Court matters. It's rare that we have free time like now. Let's go for a nice walk and take a good look around." He Heng's tone was relaxed, as though he had never been attacked at all.

Whilst the brothers were talking, an unfamiliar taijian scurried over to bow in front of them: "Wang ye, wang fei said that it's possible to set off in less than ten minutes."

He Heng nodded, "Order the servants to prepare the items needed for the outing. We will leave in fifteen minutes."

He Ming watched the relatively young taijian walk away before hesitantly saying: "Er ge, yu di didn't know that er sao was going to come, this … …"

"We're one family, there's no need to follow protocol for such a minor matter," He Heng smiled as he patted his shoulder, "You saozi has been married to me for several months. She'd been running the household all this time and hadn't had a chance to walk around. Today's weather is so good, wouldn't it be a disappointment if she stayed in?"

Seeing that er ge really was treating him as one of his own people, He Ming's heart warmed. He raised his hands together in a fist as he said: "Er ge is right, it was didi who is too much of a zealot."

Inside Jade Cloud Tower, Qu Qing Ju stepped into her embroidered flat shoes. She was in a good mood as she came out the door with her yahuan. After seeing that both He brothers were waiting for her, she paused before walking rapidly to He Heng and bowed properly to He Ming, "Good morning, si shu."

"Good morning, er sao." He Ming hurriedly returned a bow.

Qu Qing Ju retreated half a step, clearly avoiding half his bow. She turned to smile at He Heng: "Has wang ye waited long?" She wasn't wearing her usual floor-length dress. Instead she had on a short dress that was embroidered with peach blossoms. It was perfect, matching perfectly with the spring sun.

"Did you leave anything behind? If not, we should leave." He Heng touched the butterfly and flower gold buyao in Qu Qing Ju's hair. For some reason, even though he hadn't yet seen the scenery outside, he'd already felt that it was lovely.

Qu Qing Ju shook her head, the buyao gently sliding against He Heng's palm: "I didn't leave anything behind. Now is the best time to leave."

"If that's so, then let's go," He Heng grasped Qu Qing Ju's hand. He turned to He Ming, "Si di, please."

"Er ge and er sao first," He Ming took a step back, slightly lowering his head to indicate his respect for his elder brother and wife.

He Heng smiled at him and walked with Qu Qing Ju in the front. He Ming walked two steps behind. His gaze fell on their backs and he felt admiration. Er ge and er sao had such good feelings for each other. Thinking about his own marriage to the xiaojie from the Luo Family, the Rites Ministry had already started preparing the wedding and He Ming felt expectation bloom in his heart. After his wang fei entered the fu, would they be as affectionate as his brother and his wife?