83

Sometimes, the most painful time wasn't when you had lost everything. It was when you had lost everything and the person who had been suppressed by you was standing in great circumstances right in front of you.

Qu Wang Zhi looked at the silver in the hands of the taijian standing in front of him. He might have been a bit of a wastrel but even he knew that the amount of silver in the pouch wasn't insignificant. It was enough for a normal family to live on for a few decades without doing anything. But even though he didn't have anything at present, he still didn't want to receive that pouch of silver.

Liang shi, who had been wiping away her tears, snatched the silver from Ming He's hands and threw it ferociously on the ground. She pointed at Qu Qing Ju in the carriage, ranting: "We don't need you coming here at this time to falsely give aid!"

The snowy-white silver rolled out from the cotton pouch, scattering to the ground. Under the sunlight, it was even more blinding. The spectators in the street saw the scene and started gossiping amongst themselves.

Qu Hui Xue supported her grandmother. Listening to the mocking laughter of the spectators targeted at Chang De Gong Fu, she embarrassedly lowered her head and saw an ingot of silver that had rolled to her feet. For some reason, she suddenly thought of a certain day three years ago when taitai had thrown a teacup in the exact same manner at da jie's feet.

That cup of tea had been very hot. It had been the beginning of spring yet she was able to see the white steam as the tea splashed onto da jie's feet. But at that time, da jie always kept her head down so she wasn't able to see the expression on da jie's face.

For some reason, she suddenly felt somewhat elated. Liang shi, well-off for more than a decade, Liang shi, who had abused her mother, finally met today's outcome. As she thought some more, a smile appeared on Qu Hui Xue's face and she bent down to pick up the silver at her feet. She blew away the dust on the silver and put it in a pouch at her waist.

Liang shi didn't notice her actions. However, Qu lao taitai saw but didn't say a word. She wasn't intelligent but she was able to see the situation more clearly than Liang shi, so she wouldn't do anything that would provide more food for gossip.

Liang shi had never thought that there would be a day when her and Qu Qing Ju's positions would be switched. That yatou in her memory, who had always been submissive, is now become high up in the sky and she has now become a base shumin. She was both hateful and unsatisfied, so she placed the source of the misfortunes onto Qu Qing Ju who was sitting in the carriage.

Qu Qing Ju calmly looked at Liang shi. This woman did have some beauty, but only just some. She couldn't understand how the Duke of Chang De was so captivated by her that he would do something as crazy as killing his wife. A man that heartless, did he really know what was love?

After seeing Liang shi lose her composure and started to curse, Qu Qing Ju felt the discontent, deep inside her heart, gradually dissipate. She covered her chest, as though she could see the lonely and helpless little girl enduring the days and nights in Chang De Gong Fu, saw her marry into the wang fu, saw her resist the man's approaches, saw her silently lie down on the carved bed and calmly close her eyes.

He Heng noticed that Qu Qing Ju's expression wasn't right and gently grasped her hand, "Qing Ju, what's wrong with you?"

Qu Qing Ju's gaze met his and she suddenly smiled. She shook her head, answering: "Nothing." She moved her gaze back towards Liang shi, and bent to get out of the carriage. She gave her hand to Mu Jin who had been standing by the side of the carriage and stepped on a wooden stool as she got off the carriage. Step by step, she walked to stand in front of Liang shi, whose face was distorted, and in a very small voice, she said: "If you keep making a fuss like this, that's not accumulating virtue for your children. Didn't anyone tell you that I hold grudges?"