84

The interior of Tian Qi Palace was suffocatingly hot but no one dared to complain, not even to wipe away the sweat on their heads. All their attention was focused on the dragon bed. The man lying there was the master of their honor and even their lives.

The taiyi present took their turns as they shakily checked the pulse. When they had finished, they knelt in front of the Empress. The Dean of the Imperial Hospital said in a trembling voice: "Empress niangniang, His Majesty's pulse is as thin as silk, faltering occasionally before rising. This official has no solution."

"Wasn’t His Majesty just overwhelmed by the heat?" The Empress's expression changed dramatically. She might not know medicine but even she knew that only the mortally sick would have a weak pulse. She looked at the taiyi, their faces pale even in the sweltering heat, and ground out: "No matter what, you have to make His Majesty wake up!"

The taiyi present exchanged looks between themselves and gritted their teeth as they complied.

The Empress looked at the unconscious man on the bed and wiped away the sweat on her forehead. She thought for a while before summoning a messenger taijian: "The Emperor is seriously ill. Even if it's not good to have too much noise, but as a father, he would certainly be thinking of his children. Summon Duan Wang, Rui Wang, Cheng Wang and Jin An Princess from outside the hall. Shu guifei and Jing guifei should also come in to attend."

Outside Tian Qi Palace, all the feipinwho had children, the princesses and the wang ye were all standing in the scorching sun as they waited. Seeing a taijian come out, the eyes that had been scattered due to the blinding sun instantly became spirited.

"Passing the decree of the Empress to summon Jing guifei, Shu guifei, His Highness Duan Wang, His Highness Rui Wang, His Highness Cheng Wang, and Jin An Princess Royal to attend." After the taijian passed on the Empress's decree, he didn't look at anyone's expression as he hurried back into the hall.

The others were discontent but had no other solutions. Right now, the Emperor was unconscious so the Empress held the highest status in the palace. If she said not to let someone in, who dared to force their way in?

The group of people entered the humid hall. Shu guifei furrowed her brow as she complained: "It's so hot inside the room, why not use some ice?"

The Empress glared icily at her: "Right now, His Majesty's pulse is weak. How could we use anything cold? If Shu guifei finds it too hot, then go back to your palace to rest. The Emperor here won't lack people to attend him."

Shu guifei was stung by the Empress' words. She didn't feel happy inside, but due to the other's position, she could only bow to the Empress, "Pinqie was just worried that the Emperor would overheat. Please, Empress, forgive pinqie's slip of the tongue."

The Empress looked at her and then her gaze swept across He Yuan beside her, not paying any more attention to her. She turned to look at the taiyi who was performing acupuncture and massaging the Emperor. Her voice was heavy as she announced: "The Emperor's illness this time is critical, the pulse is very weak. You … serve well."

The people who were called in instantly changed their expressions. They were all understood what a weak pulse meant. But why did it suddenly become like this?

The person with the ugliest expression was most likely Shu guifei. She looked at everyone in the room. If the Emperor passed like this, how likely would it be that her child would succeed the throne? Thinking about it, she looked with enmity at He Heng, whose face was full of anxiousness. If Wei shi's son became the Emperor, would there even be a space in this Da Long Dynasty for her and her son?