108

His Highness the Eldest Imperial Son was the only heir of the Emperor at present so everyone knew that this Eldest Imperial Son held special meaning. So when the third day "washing ceremony" came, the people who were allowed to attend all prepared auspicious gifts for the basin to express their regard for the Eldest Imperial Son.

Because the Empress was in her confinement period, the Eldest Imperial Son was personally carried out by the two Empress Dowagers. Additionally, the Emperor sat from beginning to end. Everyone could see how much importance was placed on the infant by the three major personages of the palace.

At the washing ceremony, some noblewomen of significant status were fortunate enough to get close to the Eldest Imperial Son. When they left the palace, they kept on praising how well the Eldest Imperial Son looked and how auspicious his features were.

Those that didn't have enough status to be close to the Empress Dowagers also crowded around to praise as though they would offend someone if they said it too late.

More people in Jing started to fawn over the members of the Tian Family, but to their surprise, the Tian Family became more low-key. Even the families that the shu daughters of the Tian Family married into started to be low-key. When the actions of the Tian Family passed into He Heng's ears, it improved his impression of the Tian Family to be even better. After a short while, he would find a chance to bestow some things to the Tian Family to imply that he was very satisfied with the Tian Family's methods.

The Jing City was always a prosperous place and there were naturally people in stalls on the sides of the street. So when one vendor saw a large stallion with a golden-yellow cloth tied around it, he knew that it was a messenger with a decree and chatted about it with his customers.

"After the Empress gave birth to the Eldest Imperial Son, our Jing City has become busier as well," A dumpling vendor chuckled as he wrapped the dumplings in lotus leaves and handed them to the customer in front of him, "We can try to partake in the cheer as well."

Qu Wang Zi had a difficult expression on his face as he stared at the cabbage stuffed buns in his hand. He turned to look at the distant stallion, asking in befuddlement: "That road seems to be Zhong Yi Gong Fu?"

"Yup. The Duke of Zhong Yi is a good official, and also the paternal family of the Empress. For the palace to bestow something to Zhong Yi Gong Fu, isn't that very normal?" The owner placed the prepared buns into the steamer basket, lowering his head to look at the fire in the stove, his face proud as he said, "The empress once brought the stewed eggs that my dai jie sold. Right now, many noble personages go to taste my da jie's stewed eggs. They all say that my da jie's stewed eggs are full of flavor. If this guest is interested, then go buy some for a taste." He pointed at the stewed eggs stall opposite the street, his face full of pride.

Qu Wang Zhi twisted his head to look. As expected, many people were crowded around the stall buying eggs. He had seen some of them people, they were the stewards of some noble families.

"Hey, isn't this Young Master Qu?" A youth wearing the uniform of the Dong Shan Academy sitting on a horse looked down at Qu Wang Zhi with a scornful expression, "What lucky day is this that I'm so fortunate to see Young Master personally buying buns?"

The manservant that held the reins for the youth respectfully raised his hands, uttering: "This one greets Young Master Qu."

Qu Wang Zi recognized that this youth was the Duke of Zhong Yi's shumei's son and instantly felt his face burn. He laughed dryly and raised his hands to greet: "Nice to see Young Master Chen."

"I can't receive Young Master Qu's bow," The youth sat straight on the horse, smiling coldly as he declared, "Your fu is such a noble family that it feels even the Empress is lower than them. Us poor little families cannot receive a bow." That year at the Empress' coming of age ceremony, that was how Liang shi had mocked his mother. When his mother had returned home, she had cried over the matter to the point she became sick. If it wasn't that the Emperor had decreed a marriage for biao jie half a month later, his mother would have remained ill for much longer.