112

The day of the Emperor's birthday, all the attendants of the palace made themselves one hundred and twenty percent alert. No one dared to slip up. If they managed to mess up in front of their superior, even if they didn't die, they would be torn off half a body of skin.

The palace maids and taijian under the supervision of the Department of Household Affairs perfectly arranged everything from clothing to food. Even the Luan He Hall itself was washed again and again. The white jade steps outside were wiped so clean that even a speck of dirt couldn't be found.

"Today's weather is really good," A blue-clad taijian raised his head to look at the sun hanging in the sky, and in a lower voice, said to his partner beside him, "Hey, have you heard yet how beautiful the princess of Jing is? She's planning to present a dance at the banquet."

"There's nothing strange,' his partner used the cloth in his hand to carefully wipe the pillars of the corridor, "Just a princess from a minor country, is she worth you being so curious?"

"I think your brains are made out of a wood. A normal princess, why would she present a dance out of the blue in front of the Emperor?" The blue-robed taijian proclaimed hatefully, "That one's thoughts aren't simple."

"Isn't there still the Empress?" His partner bent to wash clean the rag in a basin, "Just a pellet sized country's princess, there's nothing to gape about."

"No matter how good a woman is, they can't compare to a new … …"

"Who is speaking nonsense?" A steward taijian wearing deep blue rippled robes walked over with a group of young taijian behind him. He pointed expressionlessly at the blue-robe taijian, "Drag him down, drag him down. Presuming to comment on his zhuzi, sparing his life will only make other people's lives harder."

Before the blue-robe taijian could beg for mercy, his mouth was stuffed and he was dragged down. His partner was already collapsed on the ground in fear.

"You at least know your bounds," the taijian steward rubbed his hairless chin. He waved his hand, "Continue working. If I hear something I shouldn't hear again, the one just now is the lesson. By that time, don't blame me for not warning everyone."

"What's going on here?" Jin Zhan, wearing a water blue palace dress, saw a taijian being dragged from far away. When she neared, she found that the taijian and palace maids present all had abnormal expressions on their faces. She asked, "What did that taijian do just now?"

"Good day, Jin Zhan guniang," When the steward taijian saw Jin Zhan, a smile instantly appeared on his face. He went forward to bow to Jin Zhan, "Does Jin Zhan guniang have something to order us to do?"

Jin Zhan saw the steward taijianwasn't willing to speak on the taijianthat had been dragged away and didn't persist. She opened: "The Empress said, everyone has worked hard. After a little while, everyone can go to the kitchen to receive a bowl of lily porridge to warm up. The weather of the tenth month is cold at night."

"Thanks to the Empress for her grace," The steward taijian instantly gave a grateful expression. He made a full bow in the direction of the back end of Tian Qi Palace and then said a few more compliments regarding the Empress before stopping.

Jin Zhan didn't stay for long. After some polite chit-chat with the steward taijian, she left.

The steward taijian watched her back and sighed. Right now, the Empress's side was splendid. If he could join in on the Empress' side, he wouldn't still be a steward. It was a pity that the people surrounding the Empress were like a metal barrel. It was hard for an average person to even show their face in front of the Empress.