7. A message for Dream

Sapnap placed his hands on the table rather aggressively, glaring at George, who was sitting on a chair, shaken. His piercing black eyes bored into George's brown ones.

"I'm assuming you know Dream, then," said Sapnap in a strangely calm tone. George hated every second of this interrogation. "How? Who is he to you?"

George hesitated, trying to find the right words. "I was friends with him when I was a child," George replied coolly. He tried to remain calm as well, yet internally, he was screaming.

"I see," Sapnap nodded, his voice still laced with malice. George gulped. "You know he is a murderer, right? You were helping him even though it goes against your job position?"

"Do you want me to go to the king? Do you think the king wants this?!" Sapnap yelled, his hands trembling. He was so frustrated. George was trying his best not to start crying. Bad sensed danger and immediately stood up. Sapnap didn't notice. "Such a useless guard, can't even follow the instructions."

"Nick, please calm down!" said Bad sternly, pulling himself to his fullest height. Sapnap turned his head and stared at him for a couple of seconds, his demeanor dangerous.

George shrunk down in his seat, not wanting to anger both of the glowering men. Sapnap said nothing. Instead, he sat down and stood up again, pacing wildly. Bad seemed to calm down as well, sitting next to George and exhaling slowly.

"George does have a point," Bad continued, his eyes trailing the younger boy, who was now fuming, "Dream is innocent until proven guilty."

"Don't take his side," said Sapnap in an undertone, his voice cold and expression stoned. "We'll bring him to the king, for him to judge. But knowing him.."

Sapnap's voice trailed off and a small smirk grew on his lips as he lingered in place. George's eyes widened in realisation. He hadn't even thought about the king. George placed his head in his hands and let out a sob of frustration.

Bad glanced at the brunette, who was tugging his hair now. Sapnap's smirk didn't seem to fade.

"I won't punish you, George. Consider yourself lucky," said Sapnap softly, his voice icy and dangerous. George looked up in astonishment. "However, don't think I'll let you off that easy."

"What do you want from me?" George asked slowly, his happiness fading as the smirk on Sapnap's face grew bigger. George felt nervous when the black haired boy approached him.

"I just want to know one thing," Sapnap continued, his eyes fixated into George's. George's heart hammered in his chest as he nervously fumbled with his hands. "What's your way of communication with Dream?"

George stopped. This wasn't what he was expecting, but immediately grew suspicious. Sapnap's grin twitched, but didn't leave his face. "Oh Georgie, don't think of lying to me. It'll only worsen things."

"I- ah- I leave pieces of parchment for him to read at noon. At night C- Dream goes to pick them up," George stammered, his tone uneasy. Sapnap's smirk turned into a sickly-sweet smile. George didn't like where this was going.

Silently, Sapnap handed him a piece of parchment and a quill, a triumphant expression growing on his face. George already knew what his plan was.

A few minutes after, the three of them exited the room, walking down the long flight of stone stairs. Sapnap was about to send George out, when a tall lanky boy approached the lot. George didn't recognise him.

The boy had blonde messy hair and a confident expression on his face. "Hello are you Sapnap?" the boy asked, his tone somewhat cocky. Sapnap raised an eyebrow.

"Who are you? What's a twelve year old doing in the castle?" Sapnap snapped, looking back at George and Bad, who just shrugged. The boy furrowed his eyebrows.

"Twelve year old? Twelve year old? Who do you think you are, speaking to me like this! I am sixteen - I am a man!" the blonde responded, regaining his confidence and cocky attitude. Sapnap let out an exasperated exhale.

"My name is Tommy, last name censored. Phil doesn't think it's a good idea to give others my last name. I'm here because of.. er... I don't work here," Tommy continued, Sapnap's frown growing on his face. "I'm visiting but legally so you cannot kick me out. Also I need to find a Sapnap."

Sapnap took a step towards Tommy, looking him into his eyes. Tommy pulled a grimace before nodding hastily and taking out a piece of parchment. "King wants to see you."

"Right, but how come I haven't seen you around? And who in the world is Phil?" Sapnap barked, massaging his temples. Tommy didn't even flinch. On the contrary, a mischevious smile spread across his face.

"Like I said before, I'm visiting the king. A bit overrated, innit? I mean - everyone calls him great and mighty, but I could take him on a one versus one," said Tommy, making Bad's mouth drop and other people around mutter things under their breath. "He is a real narcissistic dumbass, you know."

"Well.. I guess sometimes his intentions aren't the best," Bad agreed but was immediately cut off by an outraged Tommy. "HOW DARE YOU SPEAK OF THE KING IN SUCH A WAY?"

"AREN'T THE BEST? WHAT DO YOU MEAN 'AREN'T THE BEST'" "What the muffin-" "HE IS ONE OF THE GREATEST MEN ALIVE, 'AREN'T THE BEST' MY ARSE!"

"Okay break it off, break it off," George muttered and stood in between Tommy and Bad. Bad sounded like he was on the verge of tears, whilst Tommy was eyeing him suspiciously. "Er Tommy was it? Tommy, please take Sapnap to the king and um Bad and I need to run errands, don't we, Bad?"

Bad nodded slowly, his face somewhat red. Tommy gave them one last glance, before taking Sapnap's arm and starting a loud conversation, making others stare.

George watched as a similar blonde guy approached Tommy and smacked him on the back of his head. "Tommy, what do you think you're doing? You had one job.. wait until Wilbur hears about this."

Bad nudged George to start moving and the two left the castle, not knowing who the blonde man was or what he said next. The two walked through the forest, to the oak tree and George put up the parchment. He prayed that Clay wouldn't read it as they left, making small talk about the weather.

George's prayers weren't answered, for when night fell and everyone went to sleep, Clay approached the tree and picked up the parchment. He read it three times, before stuffing it into his pocket. A nervous smile grew on his face. He returned back to his base, lying down on the ground and thinking of the parchment, which read:

Hi Dream! Please meet me at the meadow near the castle domains at noon. I have something I need to tell you. It's urgent.
- George