|13|

I slowly stroll through the small village, making my way towards the hut Cara was supposedly staying in. I rap my knuckles against the door frame, waiting for any sign or sound signifying for me to walk in. I hear a small hum, so I step in, nodding my head at her as I walked through. She nods back at me and expectantly flashes her brows. 

"What can I do for you?" she asks, resting her blaster across her lap.

"I wanted to let Mando eat in peace, so I was wondering if maybe you and I could go out and scout around the forest. You know, just to save all of us some time and such," I say, clasping my hands together. She nods and stands to her feet, holstering the blaster she had resting in her lap. 

"Where's your little lightsaber? I remember you used to never let that thing leave your side," she says, nodding towards the empty spot near my hip. She rolls her eyes with a kind smile, crossing her arms. "It was like your safety blanket or something."

"It's currently at the bottom of my bag. One of the farmers that gave us a ride here recognized it and I don't need Mando finding out about that whole thing just yet," I mutter, awkwardly rubbing the back of my neck while thinking about what might happen if he were to find out.

"So he doesn't know anything about you or your past?" she asks, perking her brow at me. I shake my head and let out a small sigh. "Haven't you two been working together for the past five years or something? Why not just tell him?"

"Because he's actually really smart and pretty intuitive. He'll probably piece everything together and then kill me because last time I checked, I had a pretty hefty bounty on my ass," I rush out, almost stumbling over my own words. 

"I doubt that he would kill you," she says, rolling her eyes at me. I think back to the conversation she had with Mando on our way here. So he cares, but in what way? He never did say anything that would really answer her question. She steps forward and wraps her arm around my shoulders, walking us out of her room. "Regardless of what you tell him, I think he'll protect you."

"I suppose," I mutter, unsure as to whether or not I believed her. We make our way towards the thick forest, talking about the things that had happened since we had last seen each other. I bring up Mando a few times, telling her about the major jobs we had taken together while being partners in crime (as I call it). 

"What do you think about Mando?" she asks, her eyes flickering over to me for a moment before going back to looking down. My cheeks turn to a light pink and I shrug, pursing my lips slightly. 

"What do you mean?" I ask, knowing that she was trying to do the same things that she had done to Mando. She was trying to figure it all out. I mean, it would be nice to figure out how he feels about me, but I was a little too scared to jeopardize whatever it was we already had. 

"Come on, Dameron, I can see you blushing from a mile away. You both already act like a couple. Plus, I can see how much he really cares about you," she says, nudging my shoulder a bit. I roll my eyes and shake my head at her. 

"I doubt that he cares about me in that way," I mutter, keeping my eyes glued to the forest floor. 

"Hey, you never know until you ask," she sings in a playful tone. I laugh a bit, but I don't say anything afterward. I keep my eyes on the ground and I'm glad that I do because the next thing that I stumble on changes the whole entire game. 

"Shit. Imperial Walker," I mutter, looking down at the large footprint that was pressed into the muddy ground. 

"This isn't what I signed up for," Cara says, looking over to me while narrowing her eyes. I hold my hands up in a faux surrender, telling her that I didn't know about it. The Krill farmers that had originally talked to us about the job never mentioned anything about an Imperial Walker. They just said that they were having problems with raiders.