3

"There you are!" A familiar feminine voice echoed the cave.

The cold lovers turned to see Suki and Sokka creeping inside of the hole in the wall that they called an ice cave. Sokka was holding a gas lantern that seemed to glow in the darkness.

It had been awfully quiet outside, the only sound that could be heard was the howling wind that blew by. Sokka looked at the couple that was inside. Specifically, at how they were sitting. Zuko was sitting against one of the icy walls slightly hunched forward. In between his wide open legs sat the auburn-haired girl wrapped in his thick wool cape, his arms were around her holding against his body, his head comfortably resting on top of hers. Sokka also noted the discarded winter clothing and weapons that had been carelessly thrown across the small space.
A sly knowing grin made way to his face.

Those two were freaky and he knew it.

"Looks like you two kept busy while hiding out here in your little snow bungalow." He said while childishly sniggering at the red-faced girl's expression.

"I fell through the ice and almost died. Zuko's just... keeping me warm." She explained. The Fire Lord simply breathed out a firey exhale which made him resemble a dragon and shot his friend an irked glare.

"Mhnn... Sure," The Water Tribe boy arched a teasing eyebrow the knowing smirk still plastered to his face. Suki stood next to him with her arms crossed over her chest, her expression mirrored his.

The Kyoshi Warrior laughed a little, her eyes drifting up eyeing the cave's dripping ceiling "I'm surprised the place didn't melt down."

"Get dressed and let's get back up. Luckily nobody got hurt. We captured the one responsible for all of this mess."

xxx

The celebratory mood had definitely been killed. It was a miracle Katara's grandmother hadn't had a heart attack on the spot or something. It really seemed like it had all been one massive distraction, the only casualty of the several explosions being Tsai's ship. Thankfully there was no one on board at the time.

She hated to admit it, but her mother had been right. She should've known this would happen. Now dressed in warmer clothes, yet still feeling cold and uneasy at the cold brush with death she stood with the group as they huddled outside of a snow building where the assassin's accomplice was being held. Several oil lamps planted outside illuminated the space. Aang and Katara were still dressed in their ceremonial robes and Tsai couldn't help but feel guilty about having ruined their ceremony.

"He hasn't said a single word since we captured him," explained Chief Hakoda who was stepping out from the holding building.

"What matters is that nobody got hurt," Aang said a hard look on his gray eyes.

"This doesn't make any sense," Katara said holding a hand against her mouth in a pensive matter. "Why would anybody do this?"

It had obviously all been one large ploy to distract everybody. The assassins knew they wouldn't be able to kill anyone with the Avatar and his team nearby. A diversion to scatter the group in their separate ways seemed like the best option to then strike.

"I'm sorry," Tsai stepped forward, eyes lowered in a guilty expression. "This is all my fault. My mother warned me not to come. It's been happening more and more often now but it's not rare for somebody to come and try assassinate me- "

"Or me-" Zuko added at her side, arms crossed over his chest. She looked at him with a concerned expression. He wasn't wrong. They could've both been targets. Two birds one stone. Whoever sent these assassins knew that the Fire Lord and the girl from the Republic of Nations would probably be together.