Five Galleons and a Knut

"Are you ready for this?" Remus asked Emma as they stood outside the Burrow. It had been a month since the war had ended and Molly had decided to throw a small celebration for the trio and everyone else in the Order.

"As ready as ever," she said and took his hand in hers. 

"This is going to be a doozy. I for one, cannot wait for her reaction," Sirius whispered behind them excitedly as they opened the door and entered.

"Ahh! There you are. It's about time," Molly instantly came to greet them. Remus smiled at Molly as Emma hugged her. 

One glance around the main room told them that way too much effort had been spent on this 'party'. But the mood was too somber. Their friends stood idly making small talk while the Weasley matriarch busied herself making sure the conversation was going.

No one knew why Molly had decided to hold it here when Sirius had offered the same at his place. Arthur had nudged Sirius to let his wife do this as a distraction and he had relented. 

Harry, Ron and Hermione sat in a corner whispering to themselves quietly looking like they wanted to do anything but be there.

Emma went off to chat with Molly and try to get in her good graces before she had to break the news. Remus made a beeline for Arthur, Ginny and Kingsley. Sirius looked around, sending a wink at the trio when they caught his gaze but kept on scouring the sparse crowd.

He spotted eight Weasleys instead of nine.

Of course. No one mentioned the elephant in the room. 

Everyone did, however, keep glancing at Molly cautiously.

He decided to fetch a drink from the kitchen before they were whisked off to the backyard where dinner had been set.

"This is a disaster," George spoke up next to Sirius. The young redhead had sunken eyes and looked as if he hadn't slept in weeks. A little dishevelled, he also looked like he hadn't properly looked at himself in the mirror before deciding to go with his outfit for the evening.

And knowing the boy, he wasn't even sure he owned a mirror anymore, not since..

Sirius felt for him.

"I don't know what she's trying to prove. She keeps thinking he'll show up somehow," he said giving Sirius a dark look as he took a sip of his drink.

How many has he had already? Sirius wondered.

Sirius shook his head. "And you?"

"What do you think Sirius?" George angrily chugged the rest of his drink annoyed at the charade he was forced to be a part of.

"That he wouldn't want you to mope like this," Sirius trod carefully.

"He isn't here, is he? Tell me something I haven't heard already," he slammed his glass down on the kitchen counter that earned him a worried look from Ron across the room. George was about to walk away but Sirius held him back.

"Can I interest you in a small bet then? Something to distract you," he hoped this might lighten his mood. Even a little.

Sirius knew what if felt to lose a brother. He had already lost James and Regulus. But he had grieved alone. What he wouldn't have given for someone's helping hand back then.

George considered his offer for a moment before agreeing.

"Two years ago, Fred and I made this bet at that Christmas party," Sirius hoped George would get the hint.