Birthday Breakthrough

Twelve Years Later: Eislyn's P.O.V.

"Hey, bitch!"

My name is not bitch, asshole. It's Eislyn. But my mother already knows that. Isn't she the one that named me? I hate this woman. Thank god, I'm turning eighteen today. I can be done being locked up in the hellhole and run away from this bitch. At least, I hope so. I've tried many a times throughout these last twelve years, and I've always been caught. 

The beatings get worse after every time. So, my mother found a solution. She built a cage in the basement. I live in a cage, like a dog. Like a caged bird, really. I'm literally a caged bird. Well, I'm not a bird, but...anyway. 

Life has been rough. Life is rough for everyone, but my life gets worse everyday. When my mother first introduced me to her male 'friends' I didn't think much of it. However, I was a naive little girl. I'm not so little anymore, and since I'm of age now (which I don't know why they waited that long) the men finally get a taste of me. A sexual taste. A sexual taste that I don't want them to have. 

I'm a virgin. And I kind of want to stay that way until I find a guy I actually wanna have sex with. I feel like that's not much to ask for. Though, my mother being who she is doesn't care at all about what I want. Not that I want much. I still have hope that I'll feel the sun on my face again. Or be able to read a whole book. Or write one. 

I can read and write, but I'm very bad at it. My mother restricts my ability with certain things, so that I'm dependent of her. It works really well, but if I want to get out, I can't be dependent on her. I don't want to be. However, life hasn't given me the opportunity to go yet. Contradicting that, I have discovered that life will not give me that opportunity, and I will make it myself. 

That's why I'm packing my bags and not answering to my mother calling me. 

I will not allow her to hurt me anymore. I will not allow her 'friends' to take the one last thing I can control away from me. I'm not to be controlled anymore. 

This seems like a horrible idea, but it's my birthday. I should be able to choose what I do on this fine day. And she will be pissed. 

She's also going to come looking for me, so I better go. And quick. 

I zip up my bag and look around my empty cage on more time. I've never had much, two changes of clothes at most. 

What my mother didn't realize is that bobby pins can be used to pick locks, and I know how to do it.