The Sunrise

I land safely on the edge of the train. I duck my head under my mother's eyeline. I take deep breaths, gulping up the fresh air into my lungs. When the train station disappears from view, I finally relax. I slide my butt down against the back of the train, leaning myself against the cold metal. Though it's not as cold as the bars of my cell. 

I watch the sunrise officially begin and thankful tears fill my eyes. I don't care as the sharp wind whips itself against my face. The sun rays burn at my eyes, but I don't look away. I can't. My eyes are glued to the beautiful pink and orange colors in the sky. The clouds twist and turn, seeming to soak in the colors, turning them peach and magenta. Amber and rose are next to fill the open sky radiating hope, a new beginning. 

I lift my head up to the sky, feeling the sun against my face for what feels like first time. I smile even though tears stream down my rose pink cheeks from the cold. I shudder at the warmth that soaks deeply into my pale skin. I squeal in delight, not even trying to contain my excitement. 

Bright green, grass covered rolling hills make my eyes flicker back and forth as the train moves quickly past them. I watch as horses pass my view. Everything seems so at peace. So at peace that my exhaustion takes over me. Gosh, it feels like I haven't slept for days. And so I sleep, dreaming of bright open skies and warmth. 

I wake up the loud whistle of a train. Fucking hell. That was awful. 

I rub my head, trying to get the ringing out of my ears. I look up towards the sky to see that once again it's night time. I rub a dirty hand down my face and feel a stinging feeling. Not the type I'm used to, but more of a tingling. I wonder what that is. I'm not used to the sun so maybe I got something from that. Huh. Nothing I can do about it now.

I hear my stomach grumble, and I reach into my bag to find a bag of almonds. Yes! That can last me a couple of days or at least until the train stops, but I don't know how long that'll be. I can't go inside because I don't have a ticket, so I'm just going to have to wing it. 

Having nothing else to do, I look back up at the sky and lights dance in my eyes. Am I hallucinating? I don't think I'm that hungry yet. It takes me a few days to get to that point. I chew on my bottom lip, thinking about what it could possibly be. 

It's night time. What comes out during the night? 

Bad men, monsters, the moon, and stars. Oh, those must be the stars. They are very pretty. 

I reach into the almond bag, pulling out three. Those can last me all night. I chop down on one, waiting to eat another as I look down at my watch. I get tired as I watch the non-ticking clock, and I soon fall asleep again.