bentos and bumbling fools // 16

Homesick...

I sat at my desk staring out the window with my head reeling. Tomorrow was the start of the Inter-high tournament - first round for the girls teams. Yui got everyone to practice just a little harder than usual that week after their break, and my hard work at the training camp really paid off - the captain gave me a starting position. I was overwhelmed with gratitude and excitement, so why did I feel so... down?

I'm just having an off week...

I just miss home a little, that's all... Angie hasn't answered any of the times I've called. Probably bad timing with the time zones and-

"Toshi!" Shouyou shouting an obscure nickname and sitting in front of my desk ripped me out of my thoughts. I didn't even realize I was zoning out. I blinked at him unknowingly. "Geez. I've been calling you forever, you're super spacey today!" He exclaimed as he pulled a bento out of his bag; he proceeded to grab my backpack and pull the plastic bag full of snacks and pre-made onigiri I bought for lunch, gently setting it by my folded hands. "Convenience store food again? You really like these, don't you?"

I forced a laugh, I wasn't sure how to tell him I didn't know how to make and pack a boxed lunch. I was better at making breakfasts and dinners, because I didn't have to worry about packing them in a small box. "Heh heh... sorry Shouyou. What's up with the nickname?"

"Eh?! Wha- Whadya mean?!" His cheeks immediately blazed pink and it made me giggle. It was fun to tease him sometimes.

"That's Michi's nickname for me, sounds a little funny coming from you." My teasing made the blush crawl all over his face, causing me to laugh for real.

"What?! I called you Toshi to get your attention - besides, what other nicknames could I even use?? I don't know how to make nicknames! Toshikooooo!" Hinata twitched and stammered as he attempted to explain himself and whining when he became fed up with my teasing grin. I smiled at my desk, he was cute in a way.

Cute?! What am I thinking?? I mean cute like how you think friends are cute, duh... Why do I always overthink things?

"T.J. is the name everyone gave me back home. Or stick with Toshiko. I like when you use my real name." I said absentmindedly, but quickly realized how that sounded. Covering my mouth with my hand I cursed under my breath and couldn't stop the persistent blush that now stained my cheeks. Shouyou just stared at me wide-eyed. "I-I just... just meant like- using my given name is fine! There's no need for nicknames... heh heh." I glanced to the side and scratched my face, hoping I was able to diffuse the awkward conversation. From how my friend cocked his head to the side and was looking at me expectantly, I guessed it half worked. "Let's just eat lunch, okay?"

"Okay... Toshiko." He smiled at me and then guffawed at his meal. We quietly said thanks for the food and began digging in. Well- Shouyou dug in. I more or less was picking at my lunch and eating small bites. My off week had been affecting my appetite too. I sighed and pushed the bag towards Hinata offering it to him. He looked at me quizzically.

"Yar noff hongry?" He garbled through the food in his mouth. I raised an eyebrow trying to decipher the words, eventually getting it.

"No... I'm not really hungry today. And don't talk with your mouth full! It makes it hard for me to understand." He finished his over-sized portion and swallowed.

"Sorry, haha! But, are you sure? This is the third day in a row you offered me your lunch." Shit, he really noticed that?

"Yeah I'm sure. It's all yours." It didn't take much of an argument with him when it came to food. He always had the hunger of a raging animal. Silence filled the air between us as he ate, and I found myself looking out the window once again, mind in an endless haze of thinking. Of everything and nothing at the same time. And as my mind went in circles any cheery mood that Hinata brought me became quickly fleeting.