8: Trust Issues

Swords clashed against each other in the morning sun. It had been a week since Devika started her training. Every morning General Abhay made them them do a series of exercises and then had them fight each other. Veer applied strength to force Devika backwards. The wooden sword was to the point of cracking under pressure.

"Keep at it Princess. Don't move. Apply the strength of your wrist." General Abhay hollered at them.

Devika fell back by a couple of steps and she realised that her strength won't keep against his, so she immediately moved aside. Veer's sword hit dust and he stumbled forwards as Devika escaped.

Geberal Abhay who was watching from sidelines, came up to them and he called halt, "Veer, keep your front leg secure on floor. Otherwise if the person you are attacking dodges then you would fall on your face and leave your back exposed to the enemy. It will give them a good opportunity to strike and possibly kill. Devika, you have to increase the strength in your wrist. Make sure to do the exercises I have shown." He instructed and moved away.

Devika and Veer nodded and started exercising with the sword again.

------------------------------

Devika was studying a book on war strategies which was recommended to her by General Abhay. Veer was reading along with her and making notes. In between taking notes he kept glancing at Devika. At first, she just ignored at him and kept writing. But he did it multiple times that he started lagging behind and Devika had to wait for him to finish before turning page.

Annoyed at him, Devika just gave him a questioning gaze. In response, Veer's immediately directed his attention to the assignment with embarrassment, at being caught staring, lacing his cheeks and his ears.

"What?" Devika asked him.

He just shook his head negatively and bowed deeper as if completely absorbed in the studies.

Amused, Devika said, "Veer, we are friends and I can see that you are dying to speak something. Just spit it out."

Veer glanced at her surprised and asked, "Are you sure that we are friends?"

"Well, we are study mates and you are helping me in warrior training. It seems that we would be better off as friends. Don't you agree?" Devika asked him softly. In her last life, Veer was a great warrior and strategist. She would definitely benefit from keeping him around.

Veer nodded and said, "I heard from the guards of the palace that yesterday you went to see a doctor and you asked to train under the man. I wanted to know why... Why are you working do hard? You don't need to work at all. You can simply study strategy, that should be enough. You just need to command us, your subjects, and we can take care of everything." His words reflected the thought that had been plaguing quite a few people. Her aunt and her maids didn't want her to stress herself. That's why, Rewa came up with the idea to train other maids and herself that day at medical facility. They were genuinely concerned about her and constantly trying to get her to quit this new obsession of hers.

'I was such a fool to chase after Bhadra in my last life. On one hand, I trained in politics and strategies to help Bhadra secure the throne and he never gave a thought for my comfort. He wanted me just for the sake of my kingdom and his throne. He made me do work for him all the time but never gave me a kind word. On the other hand, I am surrounded by people who love me and want nothing from me except to be happy. The very same people whose fate I handed over to a greedy animal like Bhadra.' Devika thought remorseful.

"Sometimes... It is better to be strong ourselves rather than just relying on others. We never know whether we can trust the person in front of us." Devika replied. Her eyes were reflecting sadness and Veer became even more confused.

He asked, "Even if you cannot trust anyone else, you can always trust your husband. He will love you and surely take care of you and all your needs."

"Just because he is my husband, I have to trust him. What if he breaks my trust? What if he doesn't love me? In that case isn't it better if instead of remaining weak, I become stronger myself." Devika questioned back.

"But the real question is that, if you keep following the path you are currently on, then will you actually be able to become stronger?" a voice interrupted their conversation. Devika and Veer turned to find General Abhay standing behind them.

Immediately Veer flinched and put his head in the book to work on assignment. Devika continued looking at the General and asked, "What do you mean General?"

"When you asked for warrior training, your father handed the responsibility over to me. Did you see or hear any difference between the training I provide you and my son? But you still don't trust me as much as you should. That is why when we were practicing in the morning you disregarded my instructions and moved away." Abhay claimed.

Devika tried to explain, "What are you talking about, General? If I didn't trust you then why would I be studying under you?"

"Little Princess, it might not be obvious to all but to a keen observer it is obvious that you allow very few people to come closer. As a warrior, on the battlefield you must trust your fellow comrades. Your life depends on them and as such there must be a certain level of trust maintained between you. As a healer you must decide on the course of action to heal the patient but you need to trust your helpers. As a ruler you are responsible for all people and as such if you don't trust others then how will you be able to rule?" General Abhay said solemnly and patted her head, "Think about it carefully." And he left both of them to their studies.

'It is easier to speak than to act. I have regretted giving my trust away easily in past. My love and my faith was wasted on an undeserving person. I will never allow myself to be that vulnerable ever again.' Devika thought before getting absorbed in the assignment.

----------------------------------

After dinner, Devika was returning to her chambers. 'Father had said that he will not marry unless the traitor who killed mother was found and punished. But after so many years, who will tell me what had happened at that time? All I know for sure is that Mother was given poison.'

Deep in her thoughts she didn't notice the person in front of her and crashed into that person.

"Careful Little Princess, you might get hurt." a voice called.

Devika looked up to see a young woman looking down at her with a smiling face. Something about the woman made her uneasy and she moved away at once.

"Who are you?" Devika asked her.

"I am Rajni, your mother's cousin and your aunt." the woman introduced herself. "Come closer, dear. Let me see how you have grown up in the past seven years."

Saying this the woman pulled Devika closer. The perfume on the woman's body was overpowering and her grip on the arm was too tight. This made Devika extremely uncomfortable. She was thinking about how to escape the woman's clutches.

To her relief, Gayatri came around the corner at the same time and saw Rajni holding Devika firmly. Immediately Gayatri went up to them and pulled Devika back lightly.

"Rajni, what are you doing here?" she asked the woman.

"Oh dear Gayatri, my father wanted to see King Nanda for some business purposes. I came along to check on you and my niece. I must say she has grown up well under your supervision. But don't you think that it is time for you to come back to Kuru Kingdom and get married? How much longer are you going to stay here like this?" Rajni asked.

"First of all, it is Princess Gayatri to you. And secondly, what I do or don't do is none of your concern. My family doesn't mind and as such, your meddling isn't appreciated." Gayatri replied firmly.

The harsh words caused the woman to display the anger hidden beneath the surface and a sneer formed on her mouth, "I was just saying these things as I am worried about you. People these days don't know what is good for them." 

Throwing a look at Devika, the woman then sashayed her way down the corridor.