Chapter 3

So I end up walking home. It's dark and dead silent except for the sound of my footsteps. I've completely sobered up at this point and I've finally realized that my ass is toast. My mom is going to kill me for being late. 

Part of me is petrified that I'm going to get kidnapped but another part of me is considering getting kidnapped versus facing the wrath of my mother.

I say my chances with the kidnappers are better.

And to think I wasted all that time arguing with that insufferable prick. My fists clench and I absently kick the curb with all my strength, regretting it immediately. 

"Damn!" I curse as pain shoots through my body. Tears spring to my eyes and my body curls up in response. 

At that moment, a car starts to pull up behind me but I'm unable to move.

So this is how I die.

I start to hobble along when the car pulls up next to me and my heart rate spikes. 

Holy shit. This is really the end-

"Hey Amelia, right?" I hear.

That voice... I look over as Jaden Brown waves over from the driver's seat with Lola Greene beside him. Her hair is tousled and her top is inside-out.

Nice.

"You're leaving already?" she asks, genuinely disappointed. "I was gonna give you a ride home."

Right. "Oh yeah, I realized I had to go and didn't wanna make you leave early."

"Oh my gosh!" she exclaims in surprise. "Don't worry about it. We'll give you a ride home!"

Third-wheeling with Lincoln High's it couple post-quickie? Not my first choice but it's better than walking home so I get into the back like I'm their kid they're picking up from book club. Well, the seats seem normal enough.

"Sorry, what's your address again?" Lola asks.

When I recite it, Jaden seems surprised. "Wait, are you-"

"Yeah," I answer. "My dad's the coach."

He winces. "My bad. You must get that a lot."

I immediately feel bad. He's just trying to be nice, as always.

"No, you're fine," I assure him. "I'm just tired." Tired from fighting that idiot.

"Things must get pretty crazy at your place on game day," Jaden remarks. "Coach must be at home partying."

The very thought of my dad partying makes me snort. Coach Hayes's idea of a party is re-watching ESPN classics in a room by himself. "Partying? He's probably busy planning out your next 500 games."

Jaden chuckles softly. "Yup, that sounds like Coach," he agrees. "What are your plans for the rest of the night?"

Uhhh... get my ass kicked by my mother?

"Just resting. Maybe start studying for the stats test." Oh yes, very cool.

"Is your car going to be okay?" Lola asks in a concerned voice, eyebrows creased.

I mentally slap myself. "Shit. I forgot," I mutter.

"What's up with your car?" Jaden asks.

"It isn't starting for some reason. I drove it to the game and just kinda left it at school."

"Oh, I can help you with that," he offers.

"Are you sure? I mean, the party's still going on..."

"I can take a look at it in the morning. I'll drop by at, like, 10 and we can head over to the school."

I bite my lip uncomfortably and look over at Lola, who gives me an encouraging nod. Well, it's not like I'm a threat anyway and I would never make a move on another girl's boyfriend.

"Okay. Thanks," I say.

"No problem," he replies and flashes a pearly white smile.

"Oh, it's that house." I point as he pulls up to my driveway. "Thank you both so much."

"Bye Amelia!" Lola calls as Jaden waves. I wave back and start to walk to the door, turning back momentarily just as I approach the door. They're in their own world. He brushes a piece of her hair out of her face gently, like she's a doll before they drive away.

---

I turn the knob of my door with the utmost care, hoping and praying that my mom is asleep as I tiptoe inside.

"You're home late."

I stop in my tracks but my dad doesn't even look up at his notes- no doubt a football play.

"Um, yeah. Sorry."

My dad is pretty dismissive. My mom must already be asleep, thank goodness.

"I heard you came to the game. Who dropped you off?" my dad asks.

Damn. If he knows I went to the game, my mom will definitely know eventually.

"Jaden Brown," I answer.

This catches my dad's attention. "Brown..." he repeats thoughtfully. "Good kid."

I play on my dad's apparent love for Jaden. "Yeah, he's gonna help me with my car tomorrow. The engine wasn't starting; that's why I didn't drive back."

"I see."

Silence.

"It was a great game, dad."

For the first time, my dad's eyes light up as he looks at me and he lets out a chuckle. 

"It was, wasn't it? They almost got us, Atler High, but in the 2nd quarter we..." His voice trails off as he realizes it's me he's talking to and not my brother, Daniel, despite my active listening. "Well, get to bed now. Go wake your mom and tell her you're home. She'll kill me if you forget."

He goes back to his football notes and I look down. "Okay," I say softly. "Good night, dad. Good game today." He lets out a little mhm in response but his focus is already gone.

That night, I lay in bed and wonder what my life would be like if football didn't exist.

A/N: Make sure to vote and comment if u liked this chapter ^-^ thx for reading loves