Chapter 16 - Mila

When I met Hayden Cross, I never thought we'd end up texting each other like flirty teenagers, and I especially never thought I'd join in on it. But I did. I encouraged it, even.

By now I'm catching myself waiting for his reply, wanting him to initiate our playful conversations. They seem to energize me, because finally, finally, I can gather my thoughts and put them into words and ultimately on paper.

I'm already finishing up my second chapter right now, mostly because I haven't heard from Hayden since this morning. It worries me somehow; it's unlike him. I noticed he's making a habit of saying goodnight or wishing me a great day before he has training, always giving his best to speak to me before he's unavailable for a while.

He makes an insane effort to keep up with me, to talk to me. It's...confusing.

I shake my head and throw a peanut butter cup in my mouth, attempting to calm my thoughts and get the last words on paper, but I'm interrupted by my ringing phone.

It's Mer. Again.

She called me a few times over the last week, but I didn't want to talk to her. I know I can't avoid her forever, though, so I heave a sigh as I answer the call, her voice resonating through the line before I can even say something.

"Mimi?"

"That's me."

"Oh, Mimi! I'm so glad you're finally answering your phone, I've been so worried."

"I'm okay, Mer." I roll my eyes as I get up from the pillow I sat on, walking into the kitchen to get my coffee.

"Listen, I'm really sorry for what I said. I didn't mean it to sound like that. I just thought... I mean, he's Hayden Cross, you know."

"And I'm Mila Lyne."

"You know that's not what I mean, Mimi. You're great. I love you—you know that, don't you?"

A sigh escapes my throat as I pour the freshly brewed coffee into my cup. "I know, Mer."

"I guess it just came as a shock. I didn't think you'd be interested in someone like him...and of course, vice versa."

Of course.

Why would Hayden be interested in me? It's a question I've asked myself a lot these days. "I get it, Mer. Listen, I gotta go."

"Mimi, please don't be mad at me."

The sound of my doorbell has me spinning around, blatantly ignoring whatever point Meredith is trying to bring across. "Like I said, Mer. I get it." I walk over to the door, opening it without really looking, my mind too occupied by this conversation with my so-called best friend. But then I glance up, and my heart stops for a second from the sight in front of me. "Hayden?" The very man I'm having this conversation about is standing on my doorstep, his caramel-colored hair disheveled while his hungry gaze pins me to my spot.

"I know his name, Mila. I'm just saying, don't let him hurt you. His name is all over the place..."

I don't even register Meredith anymore, the sound of Hayden's voice suddenly occupying my mind. "Hey, Lucky."

Without thinking twice, I hang up the phone, stunned by his stormy appearance in front of me. His green eyes undress me, every inch of skin he studies burning up in flames. He seems tired, but the fire in his eyes is still there, that significant twinkle still dancing in his irises, and again I just want to lose myself in them. "I, uh...I'm not even wearing a bra." What the fuck, Mila? Why did I say that? "Oh my God. Shit. Sorry. I... Argh!" I throw my hands over my face, Hayden's laugh engulfing me like the embarrassment I am.