Chapter 17 - Hayden

My life took a turn for the better yesterday.

Because Mila agreed to give this, us, a chance. Today, she even agreed to a date, and I can't describe how happy I am about that. I know we're supposed to meet tomorrow anyway, but I want to use every second I have to get to know her better.

Saying goodbye was the hardest thing ever, quite literally, but I knew it was necessary. Every woman deserves to be treated with respect, but especially Mila seems like she needs to take it slow. Even if she may not know it—because fuck me, she almost killed me with how she lost control yesterday.

It was damn beautiful, and I can't wait to see her between the sheets, to see how she loses control there. But that's not where we are just yet — and that is more than fine with me. I know my limits, and hers, too. So I'm taking it slow, stopping our encounters before they can lead to something neither of us is ready for, yet.

Even though I was distracted most of the time today, the memory of Mila's legs around me taking over every ounce of attention, I tried to get through the meetings as well as I could. Generally, I despise that part of my job—being team captain comes with obligations I don't need in my life, but I only want the best for my team.

It's lunchtime by the time I roll around to Mila's apartment building, looking left and right when I slip through the back door. I was serious when I told her we'd be careful. I already have plans set in motion to assure she's kept out of the spotlight.

Nervousness runs through my veins when I stand in front of her apartment door, and I already feel how every nerve ending lights up at the prospect of seeing her again; it's a feeling I haven't experienced in a while. Or ever.

I take a deep breath and knock on the door, knowing I'm fifteen minutes early, but I didn't see any use in sitting in my car to wait there. I want to use every free second I have and spend it with her.

The door opens, and I brace myself for the impact her appearance has on me, but the woman in the door frame looks nothing like Mila. Instead, a tall redhead arches her eyebrows, and I immediately glance at the doorbell.

Am I at the right apartment? The names Lyne & Watson on the bell tell me that yes, this is where I was yesterday.

The redhead interrupts my thoughts. "Yes, you're at the right apartment. You're Hayden Cross." This woman looks more than intimidating; I'm pretty sure she's almost as tall as me, and she looks strong too. The ponytail that holds her long red curls falls over her shoulder when she leans toward me, her outstretched hand appearing right in front of my face. "I'm Jasmine. Jasmine Watson. You'd better write that name down somewhere, because I'm the one who'll kill you if you hurt my best friend."

She smiles when the words leave her lips, but I can see it in her eyes. She's serious about this. Somehow, that makes me smile too. I'm glad Mila has someone like her looking out for her.

"Hi, Jasmine Watson. Nice to meet you." I shake her hand. "Your threat is noted. I'll make sure to inform my lawyer about your presence."

That makes her laugh, and she gives my hand a tight, way-too-strong squeeze before she steps to the side and waves me inside. "You're funny. I like that. Come in."

I step past her and into the hallway, my eyes immediately settling on the couch Mila and I spent most of last night on. I mean, it's ridiculous—she doesn't even need to be in eyesight; the sole thought of her sends my blood down south.

"Ew. Okay. I'm disinfecting that couch as soon as I can." Jasmine's voice makes me turn my head, and she has that fake-disgusted but amused expression on her face when she glances at the couch and then back at me. "No wonder she slept so long today. I don't even want to know what you did on there last night."