||Chapter 23||

Tate

I hadn't intended on coming tonight but my mum was out on a business meeting for the night and asked me to keep an eye on River. I assumed it was cause of how much she loved Elena and didn't want him to do anything stupid.

Normally I wouldn't bother but if was to help two of my favourite women in the world I'd do it in a heart beat. I looked down at my phone for a few seconds and he was gone. Last I checked he was playing beer pong.

I looked around to see the original group he was playing with had now been replaced by some sophomores. I stand up and walk around trying to find him when I run into a large cluster of people hovering over someone. I look to see Dallas bloody on the floor while my brother fought some dark haired guy. For some reason I felt like I'd seen that guy before "Fuck off" the guy spits at River "Whatever I don't need this shit" River says shoving the guy before walking off toward the hall. I face palm myself knowing he needed to be alone right now judging by the scene I had just witnessed.

I stop Trey one of the guys River had been playing with to ask him what happened "Hey man what happened?"  I ask as he puts his phone away "That dude punched Dallas out of no where then River jumped in pulling that guy off" I stare in disbelief seeing my brother was almost in the right for once "So he was stopping the fight not starting it?" I ask. Trey nods his head before walking off.

It was going on to 11 meaning we wouldn't be going home for at least another 3 hours especially with River needing to cool off. I decided to go Pee and potentially hide in one of the rooms till this was finished. I walk towards the long hallway remembering the way to the guest bathroom from the many times I'd been here for family 'soirées' and alumni meetings.

As I'm walking down the long hallway I'm met with shouting not the angry kind more like the desperate pleading kind. As I walk further down the hall the words become clearer "Cecelia wait up" my brothers voice fills the hall. The sound  soon matched the scene as Cecelia darts passed me followed by River who wasn't far behind her. I look at him confused as he rushes towards me "What's going on?" I ask confused as I stop him. He shakes his head with his jaw clenched before following after her.

Cecelia

I sit in the room with Cole waiting for Jamie to come back with the water when the door knob begins moving. Soon the door swings open followed by mixing  shades of blonde hair belonging to the young couple eating eachothers faces off. I look at Cole raising a brow. As they look up to gasp for air their faces become a lot more visible. I see Coles jaw clench in the Corner of my eye "Cecelia what are you doing he-" I don't bother listening to the rest of his words with the little remaining strength I had I walk out of there darting down the long hallway.

As I'm running I pass Jamie who was holding my water "Hey sorry I have your" I'm unable to make out the rest of his words as I continue down the hallway. As I walk further down I see Tate looking down at his phone walking casually down the hall. He quickly looks up as I pass him. We exchange eye contact for a brief second.

I ignore the slight butterflies I get seeing him as I continue down the hallway finally making it to the entrance of the house. I hear the heavy foot steps of everyone following behind me. I run to Jamie's car crouching down and hiding from River.

I could hear him calling my name as he weaves through the cars. A sense of relief rushes over me as I hear his voice fade off as he goes the wrong way. I slow my breathing now looking at the grass overlapping the base of my heels.

I take deep breaths hoping Cole and Jamie would get to me before he did "Hey is everything alright" I jump as I see Tate crawling around from the rear side of the car. "Don't scare me like that" I groan hitting him in the arm "Sorry" he whispers "What's going on?" He asks looking at me with those same soft brown eyes that melted my insides "Nothing" I say not wanting to cause a fuss. It really was nothing. River and I were nothing. He owed me nothing. I don't know why it felt like I'd been stabbed in the back.

I guess it was because of all the sacrifices I made and friendships I lost just to be around him yet he couldn't keep it in his pants for 5 minutes. I shake my head in frustration "Hey talk to me" he says touching my arm. I look at him confused. Talk to you?! You want me to talk to you? After how long of ignoring me he expects me to just talk to him. Of course I missed him but I hated how easily he tried to walk back into my life after leaving with no explanation. I'd already made that mistake before with River. Now I just needed to tread a little lighter when it came to guys.

I take a deep breath before putting on my usual hey I'm Cecelia and I'm such a happy person mask "No really it's fine just a little panic attack that's all" I say standing up dusting of the little bits of grass on my dress "You get panic attacks?" He asks concerned "Yeah they've been on and off for a few years now but I'm fine" so much for treading lightly "Hey we told the girls we'd take you home now did you wanna go home?" Cole says popping out of no where "Oh hey uh yeah that'd be great" I say tucking my hair behind my ears "I can take her home" Tate says intervening. I look up at him confused. He looks down at me probably matching the same expression I had "No that's alright I'll go with them" I say confused as to why he was suddenly acting like we were friends again "Oh right..." he looks off onto the street while scratching the back of his head "Well I guess uh get home safe then" he says tightening his lips before giving me one last look. He walks off into the abundance of cars eventually disappearing "Why didn't you wanna go with him I thought we were team Tate" Jamie says running his hands through his hair "Looks like we're Anti Kerrington now" Cole says watching Tate walk off "What happened by the way" Jamie asks "Nothing don't worry about" Cole says shaking his head as he opens the door for me "it's fine don't worry about it" I say to Cole not minding telling Jamie. For some reason I felt comfortable telling Jamie things "River walked into the room Cole and I were in" I say as they both hop into the car "Did he think you two were...?" He drifts off "No no no" I say laughing at the thought "No he was making out with Klowi as he walked in and if I hadn't been sitting there  it probably would've been a lot more than kissing" I say shrugging my shoulders "How are you so relaxed?" Jamie awks as he drives down the street "I've been through worse" I say shrugging my shoulders as I look out the window.

Jamie just looks at Cole for a brief second before continuing to my house.