WORE DEATH LIKE A PERFUME

♢ ♢ ♢

♢ ♢ ♢

ECCEDENTESIAST
(n.) someone who fakes a smile, when all they want to do is cry, disappear and/or die

♢ ♢ ♢

♢ ♢ ♢

The light beating was the only thing Ravenna was able to hear as the moon continued to glisten through her sheer curtains. She had grown to memorize his heartbeat better than any musical tune. She slowly fluttered her eyes open to see the night sky still painted with stars and the intricate designs of the tattoos printed on the Italian.

She gently lifted her head off of his heart beat and carefully brought her hands up to the scars behind each printed design. Each scar deeper than the other. Some were simple grazes of the knife while others were stabs close to the heart. Her fingers gently caressed each scar as if it was a masterpiece showcased in an art museum. It was as if he wore the smell of blood and death like a perfume.

Ravenna quickly pulled away as he flinched. She looked up to see him still sleeping, but in distress. Sweat started coating his features of his face as his breathing escalated.

"Please don't." He begged as if his nightmare had turned into reality.

"Rafael." Ravenna called out as she cupped his face in her hands.

"Shhh, I'm right here." She whispered to him gently as his tensed muscles relaxed upon her touch. His breathing dropped to its normal pace as Ravenna continued to a stroke his cheeks in soothing circles.

As he went back to his peaceful slumber free of any intruders, Ravenna pulled away from him to lay on her back. Her eyes fell on the ceiling above her as the thoughts of his nightmares clouded her. Before she could think any deeper in thought, his arms wrapped around her waist while his head planted on her bare stomach.