4 - My Sister's Boyfriend

If you are reading this, expecting this to be the story of my high school romance with the Slytherin Prince; about how we conquered the war side by side, then I'm afraid you will be sorely disappointed.

He was never mine at Hogwarts. As desperately as I wanted him, he was very much my sister's.

And it simply killed me.

It was in the summer before my second year when I discovered that she was 'officially' dating him.

Draco and Pansy.

I walked into her bedroom unannounced and there, tucked between my sister's thighs, was Draco Malfoy, his mouth viciously assaulting hers; pinning her down on her bed.

It was like watching two leeches suck the life out of each other.

"GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE YOU PERVERT!" my sister screamed as she breathlessly sat up and threw a pink fluffy cushion at my head.

Draco slowly craned his neck to look over his shoulder at me; his white-blond hair tousled over his twinkling grey eyes as a wicked smirk twitched at his lips.

"This isn't child's play, I'm afraid," he drawled lazily. "Come back when you're a few years older."

I wanted to point out that I was less than a year younger than him, that he himself was just thirteen years old. But instead, I stood there gaping in horror as hurt hit me harder than the cushion ever could, and I hurriedly stepped back out of the room, trying not to allow the prickle of tears to become real.

And it didn't become any easier when I started my second year of Hogwarts.

"What is she doing here?" Draco sneered, glancing pointedly at me as Pansy and I joined his compartment on the train.

My heart skipped a beat upon seeing him. He looked more beautiful than ever.

"Oh Drakie, don't be mean," Pansy sighed, throwing herself down onto his lap. "Ivy's my sister and it's her birthday today."

"I was hoping we could be alone," he muttered sulkily as he glared at me. "I even got rid of Crabbe and Goyle."

"I'll go," I said, turning back towards the door, trying not to let the hurt show on my face. "I'm sure I can find Ginny somewhere."

"No!" Pansy roared, much to my surprise. "Ivy, stay here. Draco, control yourself; we've got all year to find alone time."

I couldn't help but feel slightly touched by my sister's kindness. I had always got the impression that she hated me.

But Draco was clearly pissed off by my presence and sat pretty much in a moody silence the entire journey.

That was until the train came to an ominous stop in the middle of nowhere.

"What's going on?" Pansy asked fearfully as we felt a horrifying coldness creep over us.

Draco leapt to his feet, peering out of the compartment door.

"Shit, it's a Dementor," he hissed, quickly backing into the compartment, his face whiter than I'd ever seen it.

And sure enough, a black cloaked rasping figure floated before the door and I found myself gasping in absolute terror.

I closed my eyes, shaking in fear, just as I felt something move in front of me; shielding me from the horror before me.

When I reopened my eyes again after the Dementor had moved on, confusion hit me when I looked up to see Draco stood over me, his chest rising and falling rapidly and his face stricken.

He immediately returned to his seat next to Pansy and back to his stony silence.

It was only afterwards, however, as I made my way off the train, did it hit me that he had stepped in front of me over my sister.

And it turned out the significance of this hadn't gone unnoticed by Pansy either.

*****

When Draco ended up in the hospital wing after being attacked by a Hippogriff, I sat down by the common room fire and made him a get well card.

But I never got to give it to him because Pansy discovered it just as I finished signing my name.

"What the fuck is this shit?" She spat, ripping it up in front of me. "You better not be trying to get your filthy claws into my boyfriend! I see the way you look at him, Ivy. But let me tell you this, he'd never be interested in an ugly bint like you, especially one who hangs around with complete losers."

I looked sadly down at the pieces of torn card, tears in my eyes. I had gone to a lot of effort with it, drawing a Draco-like figure on a broomstick chasing a terrified looking Hippogriff out into the skies. When I had pictured giving it to him, I imagined the amused twinkle in his silver eyes as he gave a small, appreciative chuckle; and he'd tell me I was a good artist; perhaps even ask me to draw him another picture.

But it was just a fantasy, of course. So I threw the torn pieces into the bin and promptly disappeared to my dormitory to go and cry on my bed.

*****

When Ginny told me that her brother's rat was actually an evil murdering wizard, and Harry's godfather, Sirius Black was in fact an innocent man on the run with the condemned Hippogriff that had attacked Draco, I merely shrugged.

Nothing surprised me anymore about the golden trio.

"I probably shouldn't be telling you all this," Ginny giggled naughtily as the train journeyed us home after another eventful year. "But it's too juicy not to share. Especially when thinking about it, my brother has been sharing a bed with an old man all these years."

"Ew," I giggled, too. "That'll be one to tease him about on his wedding day!"

That summer, my parents grudgingly allowed me to stay at the Weasleys, much to Pansy's horror.

"Why would you want to stay in a pigsty?!" She bellowed screwing up her face in disgust.

"Even if Ginny did live in a pigsty, it'd still be more fun than sitting around here watching you and Draco eating each other alive!" I snapped, feeling my stomach twist uneasily just thinking about it.

"Don't be so jealous little sister," she snarled. "And anyway, as if I care; Draco has invited me to go over his some time over the summer and has heavily hinted he wants us to do it."

She gave me a sideways look, as though testing me for my reaction.

"Pansy, you are only fourteen years old," I tried to coolly remind her. The idea of them taking things that far hurt me beyond belief.

"Soon to be fifteen, actually," Pansy reminded me, her eyes glinting wickedly upon seeing my expression.

"Draco isn't! He won't be fifteen until next June!" I said, suddenly feeling desperate. I knew she would sleep with him just to prove a point to me. "He's only three months older than me!"

Pansy narrowed her eyes, suddenly looking ugly in her evilness. "How come you know his birthday without even thinking about it? Slightly obsessive, don't you think?"

"He's all you ever go on about!" I said, immediately finding a save. "It's a bit difficult not to know the occasional detail!"

I cried every night of my stay in the Burrow as unwanted images of Draco and Pansy writhing around in my head taunted me.

Ginny assumed I was homesick and held my hand when she heard my sobs.

"I like having you here," she said morosely, "I usually feel left out in this family, especially when Ron has Harry and Hermione over to stay. It makes me sad that you're sad to be here."

"It's not you," I assured her. I wanted to tell her how I felt about Draco, I really did.

But the words would never come.

It's not easy to admit that you're in love with your sister's boyfriend.

*****