𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 46.

"𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐀𝐂𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑𝐘 slice of bread in this kitchen has mold on it, is appalling." I grimaced.

    John B let out a soothing laugh, as he casually tipped the overheard cupboards closed with a finger, slowly approaching me. I sat on the countertop few feet away, my ankles crossed and swinging lightly, and hands gripped onto the granite for support. There was a frown on my lips as I stared down at the loaf of bread next to a stack of cups.

    We had watched the sunset together. It was just the two of us, sitting on the fallen tree trunk outside of his house, facing the water as the hues of orange and yellow transformed into rays of pink, soon disappearing over the marsh before our eyes. With my head leaning on his shoulder, and the wind softly breezing past our bodies, I felt okay. The thoughts of Ward, Sarah, and my grandparents were in a different place, and all my mind could think about was John B. Something was different.

    Maybe it was the way he had kissed me, or the fact that I had felt safe enough to tell him about my parents— it was unclear. But my feelings were changing for him, in a good way.

    "Kie and Pope are out right now," he said, while running a hand through his hair. "They'll probably pick something up, comin' back tonight." His voice was low, and I found myself enjoying the way he spoke so calmly, creating a soft mood in the air.

    "And Jj?" I delicately narrowed my eyebrows, wondering about him for a brief moment.

    John B stopped in front of me, shrugging with a small air of disappointment. "Still haven't heard from him," he told.

    I watched as he placed both of his hands on the surface of the countertop, next to my legs, his back bending over slightly to casually loom over me. Our faces were few inches apart.

    "He'll turn up," I rose my hand, and ran a few fingers through his messy waves, "I'm sure of it— I mean, he can't go that far, right?"

    John B looked at me, "I fuckin' hope so," a small laugh fell from his lips.

    I let my hands trail down to his chest, my fingers resting on the crook between his shoulders and neck. I smiled at him, a tight-lined smile.

    A smirk pulled at the corner of his mouth, and his eyes flashed, "But that means we have the place to ourselves," he said, with a lower voice. He was joking, but also somewhat serious at the same time.

    "I guess that's true," I laughed at his words.

    Sitting on the counter, he leaned over me, our faces close to one another, with the kitchen lit up by lanterns. I felt his thumb slide through the belt loop of my jean shorts, at my waist.

    "You're crazy," I threw my head back in laughter.

    His lips opened up into a wide smile, "What's new, Charls."

    Letting out a happy sigh, I locked eyes with him again. He only held it for a moment, as his eyes flickered down to my lips, lingering there for a second.

    I stared at his face, lit up by the yellow lanterns. I looked at his freckles, scattered like small polka dots on the bridge of his nose, trailing over his cheeks, and breaching his chin. His eyes, the bright colour of them twinkling back at me. His hair, falling over his forehead in a messy wave, and the smallest of curled wings at his ears. I placed my hands along his jaw, smiling.

    Closing the gap between us, our lips collided against one another as he leaned in first. The second we touched, a wave of happiness spilled through my body, along with that same rush shooting through my veins. When his left hand firmly placed itself on the side of my thigh, my heart began to beat even faster. He kissed me slowly, but repeatedly, and with a strong feeling, a feeling of want.