14 ☆ greener pastures

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

GREENER PASTURES

"'i still think it's rather silly for draco malfoy to be jealous of us

"'i still think it's rather silly for draco malfoy to be jealous of us.' hermione rebutes halfheartedly. eunbyeol shrugs. 'the grass is always greener on the other side.'"

☆☆☆

Hermione Granger has been in a particularly good mood these past few days. Who would've thought that she, a top marks student at Hogwarts (and a prefect, no less!), was helping lead a rebellious group against a powerful Ministry official? She hums to herself as she slips out the Gryffindor common room, prefect badge gleaming against her robes. Her prefect rounds tonight were supposed to be with Anthony Goldstein, but he had asked her if she would be fine with doing her rounds alone, apologizing profusely and telling her he hadn't finished his Transfiguration essay. It was a little irresponsible of him, admittedly, but as a prefect and a member of the Ravenclaw Quidditch team and a secret member of Dumbledore's Army, she knew he had a lot on his plate.

She's a bit surprised when she sees Eunbyeol Moon standing by the portrait, waiting with a sheepish smile on her face. "Hello, Hermione," she greets. "Tony felt awful for leaving you on your own, so he asked me to cover for him."

"Oh, okay!" Hermione answers politely. She doesn't know Eunbyeol too well. They don't interact in class much, nor do they run in the same circles. She never saw the Ravenclaw with many friends before this year, save for the Patil twins and Cedric Diggory, but she sees her surrounded by people far more often nowadays. Walking out of NEWT-level Potions (she had been absolutely green with envy when she initially found out about Eunbyeol's schedule) the Weasley twins and Lee Jordan, sitting by the Great Lake with Anthony Goldstein and Terry Boot, gossiping in a corner with Katie Bell and Angelina Johnson—Eunbyeol Moon seemed to be very popular lately. The two set off into the hall together, awkwardly silent. Hermione stifles a cough. Eunbyeol studies her shoes with intense scrutiny.

"The last meeting was fun," Eunbyeol says suddenly, referring to the second meeting of Dumbledore's Army. It had occurred two nights ago. "I can tell Tony's gotten a lot better with Expelliarmus, and only been two sessions."

The Gryffindor girl brightens considerably at the mention of the D.A. "Oh, it is quite fun, isn't it? I'm glad to hear that people are actually improving from it. It was so hard to convince Harry to want to teach. I think Umbridge really pushed him to say yes, though."

Eunbyeol scoffs. In a particularly nasty tone, she mutters, "That's the only good thing she's done here."

Hermione casts the girl a sidelong glance. Her pretty features were twisted into an expression of malice. "She gave you a detention, didn't she?" she asks quietly. "You told her that theory was useless without practice."