Chapter 20

The news of the broken engagement finally died down after a few weeks just as I was entering my eighth month of pregnancy. Siobhan had been quiet since the news. Jax thought it was because of her family, but I had a feeling she wouldn't be able to resist the temptation to mess with me for long. When the noise finally died down, Jax's father was "released" from the hospital. Their first stop was the house. I sat on the couch next to Jax as we waited his parents to speak. His mother only sighed in disappointment.

"You need to fix this... now. Give her her own apartment, do whatever, I don't care, but your surrogate doesn't take precedence over your fiancé," his dad began yelling. Jax stayed calm as he glanced at his parents.

"Actually she does. In the contract that we signed, there is a clause that if Amina feels this house... this family is unsafe, she can take Sterling away at any time. So you tell me, do you think she'll let us continue to raise Sterling with the way Siobhan, and you two, have been treating her?" Jax asked rhetorically. Both of his parents were stunned into silence for a moment.

"I haven't seen this contract yet, but son, why would there be a clause like that?" his dad asked.

"Well, it was the only clause that would make Amina sign the contract, and let Sterling be a Signa," Jax answered.

"So it all depends on how she deems our family?" his mother asked unbelieving. Jax nodded.

"I warned you. I told you there was a reason I put her over Siobhan. You guys need to start treating Amina with respect, or this is going to end badly for everyone," Jax said. They were quiet for a moment before they finally sat down.

"Amina.... do you think you would allow... Sterling... to stay?" he mother asked hesitantly. I rubbed a hand over my stomach as I stared at it.

"Well, we both almost died because Siobhan was torturing us when she lived here. It's honestly a miracle I didn't lose the baby with everything she did," I admitted.

"Surely it couldn't have been that bad," Moira tried to laugh it off. Jax quirked an eyebrow at her in amusement.

"It was that bad. If I didn't take off of work early and come home, it would have been too late," Jax confirmed.

"I can't believe Siobhan Dyer could be so... cruel," Moira said in denial.

"Well, you believe that you're always right. You always think that you know best. I told you to let me handle my own life, but you wouldn't listen," he chose to argue with his parents.

"Maybe you do have some insight that can be useful," his dad agreed.

"But-" Moira started.

"Enough," Donovan stopped her. "We interfered, and it was the wrong thing to do. With regards to Amina... it's best to let Jax deal with it. If something goes wrong, then we'll step in. As far as your engagement to Siobhan, we'll keep it on hold until Amina gives birth and everything settles down, then we'll revisit the engagement. If Siobhan can be that cruel to a fetus, we should keep an eye on her for now. What Jax said was right, the Signa heir is more important than one company merger," his father explained. I was glad he was finally seeing it from our perspective, but Moira didn't look convinced.

"If Siobhan can change..." Moira started.

"You are not to speak a word of this to her. Acting the part in the meantime just to get on our good side will also be dangerous later down the road. And I mean it, Moira. I know you like her, but risking this child's life isn't an option," Donovan said definitively. Moira pouted but didn't argue. I glanced at Jax unsurely. Something told me that Moira wouldn't just let this go. Donovan glanced at us before standing.

"Alright, that's enough for today. Amina, you should rest early. You only have a month to go, you must be exhausted," he said before looking to Moira. It was a complete flip from his attitude when he first got here. Moira stood and glanced at us before they left. I let out a sigh and relaxed against the couch as my eyes closed.

"Do you think your mother will let this go?" I asked. Jax held my hand in his gently before kissing it.

"If I know anything about my mother, the answer is no," Jax confirmed my thoughts.

It only took another week before we saw the results of Moira's meddling. While Jax was at work one day, Siobhan came to the house. A fake smile spread across her face as she looked at me.

"Why are you here?" I asked confused and on guard.

"I realize that I've been... unreasonable lately. I wanted to take you out to dinner to make up for it," she explained. I tried to keep the smirk off of my face. This was probably her inevitable move.

"I never wanted to make enemies with you in the first place. I just wanted to go through my pregnancy in peace," I replied.

"Then let me take you to dinner. I know a great place that serves everything you can imagine," she offered. I glanced at Esther's curious face briefly before smiling at Siobhan.

"Okay, let me just grab my coat," I said. I went to my room with Esther on my heels.

"You're not really going with her, are you?" Esther asked. I smirked before pulling out my phone and sending a text to Jax. I also turned on my location for him just in case.

"If this is her inevitable move, it's best to go along with it and see where it leads. At best, Jax will show up and the engagement will be called off," I explained. Esther still looked worried for me.

"Just... promise you'll be careful. Don't just drink anything she hands you. Send out the SOS as soon as things look shady," Esther made me promise. I nodded before heading back downstairs. Let's see what tricks she had this time.