Chapter 12: Dream Team

"There is a big fundraiser next wednesday Oliver can't stop talking about." Theo tells us as we sit at a small table in the coffee shop. "I know about it because it's been planned for months and he's looking forward to it."

"Yeah, I know what that is. But one tiny problem," Julia says and sips her cold drink. "Gavin said he wasn't able to go to it because him and my mom would still be in Peru."

Theo just gives her an annoyed look. "Then call them back up and say you are going."

"I need a date, moron. I can't just go by myself." Julia snaps. "Gavin would never let that happen in the first place. It would ruin his image."

"I already have that handled." Theo waves off. "I'll be your date. It won't even look that suspicious. Perfect plan."

I watch them battle it out, sitting here helpless. Now that Julia has joined our little team, Theo didn't really need me anymore. Erin and I were on weird grounds and she was hanging out with Julia more than she was hanging out with me lately. It would probably be easier on both of them if I just left. It would sure be easier on me.

I stand up and pull on my sweatshirt.

Theo stops talking and looks up at me. "Where are you going, princess?"

I sigh and pull my bag over my shoulder. "I think I'm just going to go home. I'm not really needed anymore." I don't say it with self pity or bitterness. It's just the truth.

Theo frowns and stands up with me. "What are you talking about? Of course I need you."

Something about the way he said that made me intrigued. "For what, Theo? It's not like Erin and I are close anymore. Julia is probably closer with her than I am."

Theo continues to frown. "How else would we have an escape plan if we ever needed one? Who is even going to be the one to come up with the plans in the first place?"

I pat his chest. "You're smart enough, you'll figure it out."

Theo is still frowning down at me and I had no idea why. I honestly thought he would be happy to get rid of me, it's not like I'm the nicest to him.

"Bye Theo, see you around... Well actually, probably not." I say and walk around him and out the door.

Just as I'm walking toward the school, where my car is parked, it dawned on me why what he said sounded strange. He didn't say we need you.

He said I need you.

***

I did something shocking that night. I actually studied for calculous. I was re-taking that test tomorrow, so I was glad I actually studied this time.

I slipped on my tank and sleeping shorts just as I heard something small smack my window. At first I assumed something fell from a tree and hit my window, possibly a branch. That was the reasonable thing to think of. The conclusion I didn't come to, after the third time, was that someone was actually throwing something purposely at my window.

"What the hell.." I mutter to myself as I open the window and look around. That's when a pebble hit my forehead. Then I assumed it was Alec's attempt at being romantic.

"Ouch," I rub my forehead and look down to see who it was. I was expecting Alec, but who I actually sad had me practically almost falling out my window. "Theo," I say with pure shock.

"Shh!" He says with a grin. "You'll wake up your parents, my love!"

"Shut up!" I whisper back quietly, but loudly enough for him to hear. "This isn't funny!"