ever again • q. griggs

Cora POV

I walk towards my house, limping on my ankle

I walk towards my house, limping on my ankle. I got shoved into a locker today at the end of the day, and I know for a fact I have a black eye.

I'm a junior in high school, and your typical small, shy, quiet girl. I'm fifteen but I'm a junior. My parents are busy a lot with their job, so most of the time I live alone, but they come home and check in enough for it to be legal. Actually they're getting close, they haven't been home in fiveish months now. My older brother isn't super satisfied with that though, so I have to call him at least two or three times a week for him to check on me. He doesn't know how long it's been this time because he'd be very upset.

Those boys had to do this today. They do things like this all the time, and I'm used to the bullying, but why'd they have to leave a mark today...

My brother is supposed to call me and check up and I just don't get why this always happens like today. He's calling at 4:45, and it's four now, so I only have just over half an hour once I'm home to cover this.

I walk through the door after unlocking it, setting my bag down and slowly limping down the stairs. My room is down there. I go to my makeup desk, turning in the mirror lights, gasping at the sight in the mirror ahead of me.

My eye, after all the time between leaving school and getting home, has turned dark purple and blue. I can feel it throbbing, I could right after it happened.

If Anthony sees this... he won't so it doesn't matter. I hope.

I spend over half an hour, almost forty minutes, covering the black eye. It's so dark and I can't get the concealer to stick.

I limp upstairs, grabbing my laptop, and a root beer, before going downstairs as quickly as I can handle. I sit on my bed, setting up the laptop in front of me so I can accept the Face time call on there from him, before just doing stuff on my phone. I have homework stuff due tonight so I have to do that at some point.

... Incoming call ... Anthony Reeves

Here we go...

-

Anthony POV

Cora answers the call, sitting facing her screen.

"Hey Cor!" I smile, it's nice seeing her face. I miss my little sister so much living out here.

"Hi Ant," She smiles shyly, before lightly which she tries to cover up by coughing, but I notice.

"Hi Cora, I'm here too just so you know!" Avani yells from the background, editing her latest Tiktok.

"Hey," she answers shyly. Cora is terrified that Avani will not like her, so she's very shy around her. I'm not really sure why. Avani thinks she's adorable.

"How was school, huh?" I ask trying to get her to talk.

"Fine." She answers way to fast.

"I need some details Cor, c'mon what's up?"