Chapter 46

Xu Lian put the paper plane in her handbag and walked out of the airport with Xiang ChangKong.

There were a lot of neatly arranged taxis parked outside the building. Xiang ChangKong dragged Xu Lian's suitcase along and asked: "Is your car in the airport?"

"No, I came by taxi." Xu Lian looked up at him, then coughed. "I thought about your question just now. I'm really tired after running around buying things abroad, so I just want to go home and rest. Let's talk next time."

Xiang ChangKong bit his lip, feeling a little lost. However, Xu Lian was right. She had been working hard abroad these past couple of days. He's seen all the moments she had posted online. Eventually, Xiang ChangKong nodded and said: "Alright. Have a good rest today."

So Xiang ChangKong flagged down an empty taxi and opened the backseat door for her. "Get in, I'll stow your suitcase away."

Xu Lian's suitcase was 28 inches long and was filled with the treasures she acquired from abroad, so it was cumbersome. Xiang ChangKong helped Xu Lian put her luggage in the trunk of the taxi, then went back to the door to talk to her.

Xu Lian was sitting in the back seat. Xiang ChangKong looked like he wanted to tell Xu Lian something, but in the end, he kept his mouth closed and didn't attempt to get in the taxi. Xu Lian suppressed the smile threatening to break out, and said: "Where are you going? I'll give you a ride."

Xiang ChangKong stammered: "Ah, I-I have to go to work."

"Well, then come in. Don't delay the people behind us."

Xiang ChangKong hesitated for a second, then stooped down to get in the car. After telling the driver the address, the car descended into silence. Xiang ChangKong seemed a little nervous, with his hands squeezed into fists on his knees.

But Xu Lian didn't speak, seemingly unaware of the awkward atmosphere. In the end, Xiang ChangKong glanced at Xu Lian and said: "Xu Lian."

"Hm?"

"My mother is willing to talk again."

Xu Lian froze for a moment, then nodded. "Oh, that's great."

"Un...Thank you."

Xu Lian smiled. "What are you thanking me for? You were the one that took care of her all these years. It's just that you were a little too tolerant and accommodating."

"Yes." Xiang ChangKong then said: "And I decided to take the postgraduate exam."

Xu Lian wasn't surprised. The words Xiang ChangKong had written on the paper plane indicated that he had made a decision. She asked him with a smile: "And your mother agreed?"

"I haven't told her yet. She just started to talk; I didn't want to push her too hard." Xiang ChangKong explained. "I'll tell her in a couple of days."

"What if she still doesn't agree?" Xu Lian asked.

Xiang ChangKong replied: "I believe that I can persuade her. My mother isn't an unreasonable person." If Weng ShuLi still insisted on opposing him, Xiang ChangKong can only find some other way to get her to slowly accept his decision. Xu Lian was right. He didn't want to run away anymore. He doesn't want to stay a coward for the rest of his life.

"And..." As Xiang ChangKong continued, his mood became tense once more. He closed his fist and solemnly turned towards Xu Lian. "I want to apologize again for what I said to you before. I was wrong."

Xu Lian looked at him and casually asked: "Where were you wrong? Are you talking about our break up?"