Chapter 48

Shen Lin's temperament was nothing like his domineering mother. His face was white and gentle, and he had a pair of glasses perched on his nose. When he saw Xiang ChangKong, he looked as if he wanted to say something. However, Xiang Nuan didn't wait for him to speak. She grabbed Xiang ChangKong and descended down the stairs.

When the left the building, Xiang ChangKong glanced at Xiang Nuan and asked: "Was that Shen Lin?"

"Un." Xiang Nuan asked her brother: "What did Teacher Cai and Shen Lin's mother tell you?"

"They said you and Shen Lin fell in love with each other."

"...." Xiang Nuan really hated those gossipy classmates of hers. Usually, as long as two people stand together long enough, people will start fooling and teasing the two for being lovers. Even Shen Lin and her were implicated. But Shen Lin's mother attached great importance to Shen Lin's school situation. When Shen Lin dropped two places in the weekly exams, his mother felt like the sky was falling.

Xiang Nuan ended up on the wrong side of her gun.

(T/N: Xiang Nuan ended up being the one blamed)

"We aren't in love, ah. He was just helping me with my studies." Xiang Nuan tried to explain. "After the last exam, he said he'd help me, just to see if he teaches better or if you teach better."

Xiang ChangKong didn't understand. "This is the first time I've ever heard of him." His meaning was, how can Shen Lin suddenly think of competing with him if they've never met?

Xiang Nuan's lip curled. "After the last mock exam, I mentioned that you were helping me study. It's probably the instinctual hostility between two top students that led him to try and teach me instead."

Xiang ChangKong: "...."

"But don't worry. I won't let him tutor me anymore." She didn't dare say that she had made progress in her studies, but it was true that she used some of Shen Lin's study time for her own gain. Although Shen Lin didn't have a crush on her, maybe his drop in ranking really was due to her distracting him.

Xiang ChangKong looked at his sister for a brief moment. He asked: "Then why?"

Xiang Nuan replied: "If he falls two more places in the next exam, I'm pretty sure his mom will just stab me directly."

Xiang ChangKong laughed. In a rare teasing tone, he asked: "So you really don't have a crush on Shen Lin?"

"No!" Like a cat who had its tail stepped on, Xiang Nuan jumped. "I just want to concentrate on my studies right now! I don't want to fall in love with anyone!"

Xiang ChangKong's smile gradually disappeared as he stared at Xiang Nuan. He earnestly asked: "Xiang Nuan, have I been putting too much pressure on you?"

Xiang Nuan was surprised. She never expected him to ask such a thing.

"After your last mock exam, you mentioned that you didn't want to go to university." At that time, Xiang ChangKong should have realized that something was going on. Who would give up college after one or two low scores?

Xiang Nuan habitually kicked a pebble on the road, then stiffly replied: "I was afraid of disappointing you. You're obviously much smarter than me, but you left your studies just to give me the opportunity to go to university. If I can't even pass one mock exam, doesn't that mean you sacrificed your life for nothing?"

Xiang ChangKong never thought he had pressured his sister this much. Even if Xiang Nuan could only get into the lowest university in the entire country, Xiang ChangKong would've still sent her to there. He just wanted her to receive the education most people would receive. It wasn't a loss to him, let alone a sacrifice.